Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Hugh Sparks <hu...@csparks.com> on 2008/08/02 05:17:09 UTC

[C2.2] Passing sitemap parameters to blocks - a mess?

I have a transform implemented in a block that I call using servletService:

    <map:generate src="myStuff"/>
    <map:transform type="servletService">
        <map:parameter name="service" value="servlet:myBlock:/myTransform?p1=xxx&amp;p2=yyy"/>
    </map:transform>

In the actual sitemap, when the list of request parameters is
long or if the values are verbose, the pipeline code is a total mess.
Because the line is so long, the document is impossible to read,
print, or display on a webpage. Packing the request line this
way is not very consistent with how other parameters are passed.
It can't even be fixed up with line continuations because its a literal string.

It would be nice, I think, if the transform could be called like this:

    <map:generate src="myStuff"/>
    <map:transform type="servletService">
        <map:parameter name="service" value="servlet:myBlock:/myTransform"/>
        <map:parameter name="P1" value="value one"/>
        <map:parameter name="P2" value="value two"/>
        <map:parameter name="PN" value="value N"/>
    </map:transform>

The servletService transform would strip off the first parameter
to locate the service and then forward the rest to the transform.
The source code in the pipeline would look a lot better.

Is there already some better way to clean this up?

Thanks,

-Hugh Sparks