Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Fernando Takai <fe...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/04 02:50:36 UTC

Problem with large DBs

Hi all!

My name is Fernando and I'm currently one of the Ubiquity [1]
developers (I'm focused on the server-side development).
We're currently using couchdb with Ubiquity Herd [2] [3] and with our
bug report system, and our installation has become quite big (6GB
right now even after compact).

The problem is: couchdb doesn't stay up for more than a few minutes
before totally crashing.

Is couchdb capable of handling such big data-sets?
Without the logs, can you guys guess what's going on?

(Btw, I'm trying to get the logs asap)

[1] https://ubiquity.mozilla.com
[2] https://ubiquity.mozilla.com/herd/
[3] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Labs/Ubiquity#The_Herd

--
Fernando Takai
http://twitter.com/fernando.takai

Re: Problem with large DBs

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Fernando Takai<fe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> My name is Fernando and I'm currently one of the Ubiquity [1] developers
> (I'm focused on the server-side development).
> We're currently using couchdb with Ubiquity Herd [2] [3] and with our bug
> report system, and our installation has become quite big (6GB right now even
> after compact).
>
> The problem is: couchdb doesn't stay up for more than a few minutes before
> totally crashing.
>
> Is couchdb capable of handling such big data-sets?
> Without the logs, can you guys guess what's going on?

The most important information would be your CouchDB version, you can
get that by requesting "/".

CouchDB is known to handle 100s of GBs in a single data file with no
issues, so I doubt size is the issue.

Without the logs the other thing that could help is some guesses about
whether a particular action is causing the crash.

Thanks,
Chris

> (Btw, I'm trying to get the logs asap)
>
> [1] https://ubiquity.mozilla.com