Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Bowman <eb...@boboco.ie> on 2008/06/01 10:05:14 UTC

[users@httpd] apache 2.2.3 and load balancing

Hi,

I'm in a situation (RHEL 5.1) where the only "supported" version of
Apache is 2.2.3.  We are wishing to avail of the session affinity load
balancing features in mod_proxy_balancer, and I'm wondering what the
general consensus is on how suitable that version is regarding that feature.

Can we make it work?  Should we be looking at jk if we are forced to use
2.2.3?  Can anyone share any opinions on at what version this became
suitable for pretty heavy production use?

Thanks for any input,
Eric

--
Eric Bowman
Boboco Ltd

Re: [users@httpd] apache 2.2.3 and load balancing

Posted by Travis Sidelinger <tr...@ilive4code.net>.
We have been running 2.2.6 in a production environment doing session
balancing.  It has been working great.

Posted by Eric Bowman <eb...@boboco.ie>.
Sander Temme wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Eric Bowman wrote:
>
>> I'm in a situation (RHEL 5.1) where the only "supported" version of
>> Apache is 2.2.3.  We are wishing to avail of the session affinity
>> load balancing features in mod_proxy_balancer, and I'm wondering what
>> the general consensus is on how suitable that version is regarding
>> that feature.
>
> Are you using the Red Hat supplied version of Apache?  Keep in mind
> that they backport patches from later 2.2 releases and from trunk, but
> their version number stays the same.
>
> Review the source RPM to see what's really going on.  It has its own
> Changes file.
>
> Even if you were to use vanilla 2.2.3, do you have any information
> that the features you need were not up to snuff in that version?
>
> In any case I'd recommend that you set up a test installation and see
> if what you need to work, works.  That way you have your own benchmark.

Thanks.  I didn't realize they backport but don't up the version.  I'm
not aware of anything in particular that's not up to snuff, I'm mostly
wondering if there is anything I should look out for.  I seem to recall
somebody mentioning that prior to 2.2.4 the session affinity stuff
wasn't /quite/ ready for primetime.

Anyhow, yes, we are testing, and we had a hiccup which turned out to be
a configuration problem, but it raised some concerns so I figured I'd
ask the group.

Thanks,
Eric

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Jun 1, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Eric Bowman wrote:

> I'm in a situation (RHEL 5.1) where the only "supported" version of
> Apache is 2.2.3.  We are wishing to avail of the session affinity
> load balancing features in mod_proxy_balancer, and I'm wondering
> what the general consensus is on how suitable that version is
> regarding that feature.

Are you using the Red Hat supplied version of Apache?  Keep in mind
that they backport patches from later 2.2 releases and from trunk, but
their version number stays the same.

Review the source RPM to see what's really going on.  It has its own
Changes file.

Even if you were to use vanilla 2.2.3, do you have any information
that the features you need were not up to snuff in that version?

In any case I'd recommend that you set up a test installation and see
if what you need to work, works.  That way you have your own benchmark.

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org