Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Carlo Montanari <ca...@t-systems.it> on 2007/12/11 18:04:08 UTC

JkMount changing webapp context

I'm not sure whether this is the best mailing list for the question,
feel free to blame me if it isn't.
I have a simple configuration with apache 2.2.6, mod_jk 1.2.25 and
tomcat 6.0.14.
In tomcat I have a web application running, say /myapp, that I want to
publish in apache as the root application of a dedicated virtualhost.
In other words, when the users ask for http://www.myapphost.tld/, they
should see the content of http://localhost:8009/myapp/
Is it possible to achieve this result using only connector's
configuration, or should I work on apache's side, maybe doing some trick
with mod_rewrite?
Is it unusual the requirement of mapping each web application as the
root of a virtualhost?

Thanks, bye

Re: JkMount changing webapp context

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Carlo Montanari wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this is the best mailing list for the question,
> feel free to blame me if it isn't.
> I have a simple configuration with apache 2.2.6, mod_jk 1.2.25 and
> tomcat 6.0.14.
> In tomcat I have a web application running, say /myapp, that I want to
> publish in apache as the root application of a dedicated virtualhost.
> In other words, when the users ask for http://www.myapphost.tld/, they
> should see the content of http://localhost:8009/myapp/
> Is it possible to achieve this result using only connector's
> configuration, or should I work on apache's side, maybe doing some trick
> with mod_rewrite?

No need. Just name the webapp "ROOT", which is a special name, and
deploy it in the appropriate Tomcat virtual host.

There's plenty of info in the configuration docs.

http://tomcat.apache.org/

> Is it unusual the requirement of mapping each web application as the
> root of a virtualhost?

Not so much no.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Carlo Montanari [mailto:carlo.montanari@t-systems.it]
> Subject: JkMount changing webapp context
>
> In other words, when the users ask for
> http://www.myapphost.tld/, they should see the
> content of http://localhost:8009/myapp/

For a Tomcat-only solution, define as many <Host> elements in server.xml
as you need, each with a different value for the appBase attribute.
Deploy each <Host>'s default webapp as ROOT under the corresponding
appBase location.

Look at:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html

for more details.