Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Sidney Markowitz <si...@apache.org> on 2022/08/19 22:35:46 UTC

Ready to move to RTC mode and produce a pre-3?

We are down to no more open bugs and sufficient success on the CPAN test
machines. My understanding is that testing of trunk in production environments
has gone well.

If nobody has anything that they are working on that they intend to commit, or
any other issues to bring up, I would like to go to RTC mode and I'll then cut a
pre-release 3 that people can test with. If that passes a short time for testing
I'll cut a release candidate in preparation for actual release.

I don't think we need a formal vote. Let's use lazy consensus over the next 72
hours for anyone who has a reason not to switch to RTC to speak up. I'm going to
call it 22:22:22 UTC Monday 22 Aug 2022 because that's close enough to 72 hours
and it is kind of a cool time and date.

  -- Sidney

Re: Ready to move to RTC mode and produce a pre-3?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
THanks.  I'm +0.5 on RTC if you feel it's a good idea, do it ;-)
--
Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Kevin A. McGrail wrote on 20/08/22 6:00 pm:
> A pre-release doesn't require RTC so I'd suggest we either 1) use CTR and a
> pre-3 *or* 2) I'd be +1 for RTC and a rc1.
>

> Also, Giovanni and I did a pass on the announcement at
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BGFFfZlQxYe9-H9AyEY_MVski_VtAaTb-4BLA_exwYs/edit
> and it's ready we believe.  The word wrapping will need work when it's brought
> back to ASCII, sorry.

Ok, I'll do the wrap and ASCII conversion on the announcement now.

> The upgrade file is much longer and Giovanni's done a great job with 19
> pages(!!) of upgrades.  I've only wordsmithed through the first few pages if
> anyone has some cycles to help make it better. Sorry, the conversion back to
> ASCII and word wrapping will be a pain here but best done when the editing is done.

My reasoning about RTC and pre3 went like this: It isn't a release candidate
unless it has everything done for the release, including the UPGRADE and
announcement files. However, I think we are done with everything we want to have
in the code, so I am calling for a freeze now so nothing new and unexpected gets
casually added while those two document files are finished.

If you are happy with the production testing you have been doing and the UPGRADE
and announcement files are done, when code freeze starts I'll go straight to
cutting rc1, skipping pre3. Otherwise, to make it convenient for testing I'll
package the frozen code as pre3 and make rc1 as soon as those two files are
ready. Either way, I think we are at a good point for a code freeze.

BTW, my concept of RTC is that it is a code freeze that doesn't apply for
changes that are only to documentation or comments.

Re: Ready to move to RTC mode and produce a pre-3?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 8/19/2022 6:35 PM, Sidney Markowitz wrote:
> We are down to no more open bugs and sufficient success on the CPAN
> test machines. My understanding is that testing of trunk in production
> environments has gone well.
We have been testing for a long time now and Tuesday through Thursday
with the TAGNAME promoted rules that broke sa-update was not very fun
but I'm 99% sure Giovanni fixed that.  I'm monitoring that through
Tuesday but that's been the only major hiccup.  I would recommend
holding off until Tuesday night to confirm that fix is good to go and
for someone using TAGNAME to confirm it works as expected.
> If nobody has anything that they are working on that they intend to
> commit, or any other issues to bring up, I would like to go to RTC
> mode and I'll then cut a pre-release 3 that people can test with. If
> that passes a short time for testing I'll cut a release candidate in
> preparation for actual release.

A pre-release doesn't require RTC so I'd suggest we either 1) use CTR
and a pre-3 *or* 2) I'd be +1 for RTC and a rc1.

Also, Giovanni and I did a pass on the announcement at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BGFFfZlQxYe9-H9AyEY_MVski_VtAaTb-4BLA_exwYs/edit
and it's ready we believe.  The word wrapping will need work when it's
brought back to ASCII, sorry.

The upgrade file is much longer and Giovanni's done a great job with 19
pages(!!) of upgrades.  I've only wordsmithed through the first few
pages if anyone has some cycles to help make it better. Sorry, the
conversion back to ASCII and word wrapping will be a pain here but best
done when the editing is done.

Regards,

KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
KMcGrail@Apache.org

Member, Apache Software Foundation
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kmcgrail  - 703.798.0171

Re: In RTC mode, looks like we can go straight to a release candidate

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
Thanks. I think Upgrade and Announcements in the Google Docs are good to go
now!

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 2022-08-19 at 18:35:46 UTC-0400 (Sat, 20 Aug 2022 10:35:46 +1200)
Sidney Markowitz <si...@apache.org>
is rumored to have said:

> We are down to no more open bugs and sufficient success on the CPAN
> test machines. My understanding is that testing of trunk in production
> environments has gone well.
>
> If nobody has anything that they are working on that they intend to
> commit, or any other issues to bring up, I would like to go to RTC
> mode and I'll then cut a pre-release 3 that people can test with. If
> that passes a short time for testing I'll cut a release candidate in
> preparation for actual release.
>
> I don't think we need a formal vote. Let's use lazy consensus over the
> next 72 hours for anyone who has a reason not to switch to RTC to
> speak up. I'm going to call it 22:22:22 UTC Monday 22 Aug 2022 because
> that's close enough to 72 hours and it is kind of a cool time and
> date.

+1

--
Bill Cole