Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bill Kavadas <bi...@nec.com.au> on 2004/03/24 04:24:41 UTC

svn+ssh: problem accessing svnserve

Hi,

I'm having some trouble using svn with ssh "tunneling". I've got
subversion 1.0.1 and Linux on both boxes.

I've got a repository created on a remote machine - OK
I've got an account on the remote machine which I can ssh to - OK

On my local machine I type:
svn list svn+ssh://usernam@remote.machine.com/path/to/repos

and get

bash: svnserve: command not found
svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

I don't have root access on the remote box so the svn binaries are
sitting in a subdir in my home dir.

Seems like an access issue but I can't think what - if I ssh in
normally, I can run svnserve OK - it's in my PATH on the remote box. I
can connect OK if I use svnserve -d and set the appropriate access
controls but I'd like to be able to get it going with svn+shh.

Any insights appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill

Re: svn+ssh: problem accessing svnserve

Posted by Bill Kavadas <bi...@nec.com.au>.
Bill Kavadas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble using svn with ssh "tunneling". I've got
> subversion 1.0.1 and Linux on both boxes.
>
> I've got a repository created on a remote machine - OK
> I've got an account on the remote machine which I can ssh to - OK
>
> On my local machine I type:
> svn list svn+ssh://usernam@remote.machine.com/path/to/repos
>
> and get
>
> bash: svnserve: command not found
> svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
>
> I don't have root access on the remote box so the svn binaries are
> sitting in a subdir in my home dir.
>
> Seems like an access issue but I can't think what - if I ssh in
> normally, I can run svnserve OK - it's in my PATH on the remote box. I
> can connect OK if I use svnserve -d and set the appropriate access
> controls but I'd like to be able to get it going with svn+shh.

Solved my own problem - seems when the connection is made with SSH it
doesn't login, hence it doesn't read the .bash_profile where my PATH is
set. I moved the PATH for svnserve to .bashrc (since it does start a
shell - just not a login shell) and it worked.

Re: svn+ssh: problem accessing svnserve

Posted by Bill Kavadas <bi...@nec.com.au>.
Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Ah, but if your path is set by an init script that isn't run when you
> run a command over ssh, it might not be in your path in that circumstance.

Yeah - I just realised after I sent the post! :-/
Thanks for your help anyway!

Posted by Jeff Macdonald <je...@virtualbuilder.com>.
On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 16:05, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
<snip>
> Try this:
>
> ssh remote.machine.com svnserve
>
> If it can't find it, then you know what the problem is. I suspect it
> is your path.

<snip>

Here's what I have to get things to work. svn is in /home/jeff/bin.

$ more ~/.ssh/environment
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/jeff/bin

also try this:

$ ssh yourserver echo \$PATH

and see what you get (this assumes bash shell)