Posted to community@apache.org by "O'brien, Tim" <to...@transolutions.net> on 2003/01/29 00:28:10 UTC

RE: You can at least..... ( subject too long )

Noel,

> Beyond that, I'm sensing hostility that doesn't make any sense.

No hostility, and I hope you don't take offense at anything I've written.

Again, I didn't mean to start a fight.

I was just responding to a Wiki page posted this morning that mentioned that
discussions were occuring on board@ and members@, and some were talking
about shutting down the Wiki.

> Board vs. Wiki?  That's somewhat amusing in its timing,
> considering that the Chairman of the Board.....

Makes sense, I apologize for choosing those words specifically.  Because
community@ is a closed list, I was not aware of the discussion, and was
basing my comments from what I had read on Wiki.

Again, I regret having used the term "Board vs. Wiki".

> I am not aware of the ASF Board, as an
> official body, having said word one about the Wiki.  Nor do I
> detect anything regarding the Wiki in their meeting minutes.

I can't say, the most recent board minutes that I can see are from November
2002.  I'll trust you though, I take it you've seen the Board meeting
minutes from December and January.

--------
Tim O'Brien

RE: You can at least..... ( subject too long )

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Tim,

I'd perceived some hostility in the latter part of your message, but that's
cleared up.  :-)

> I was just responding to a Wiki page posted this morning that mentioned
that
> discussions were occuring on board@ and members@, and some were talking
> about shutting down the Wiki.

Not being on either of those, that comes as news to me.  I had not seen
Andrew's latest comment on
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?WikiHaters.  Even so, I would
inquire first.  The phrasing on that page suggests to me that it might be
rather overstating any cause for concern.  "[There] is even talk of shutting
the wiki down" sounds more like someone describing a worst case possibility
than a consensus to me.  What does it sound like to you?

> > Board vs. Wiki?  That's somewhat amusing in its timing,
> > considering that the Chairman of the Board.....

> I apologize for choosing [Board vs. Wiki] specifically.  Because
> community@ is a closed list, I was not aware of the discussion,
> and was basing my comments from what I had read on Wiki.

There is (another, apparently) round of debate regarding whether or not to
open community@, but for now it is by invitation.  If you want to be on it
just say so, and whatever "invitation process" exists can be initiated.

> > I am not aware of the ASF Board, as an
> > official body, having said word one about the Wiki.  Nor do I
> > detect anything regarding the Wiki in their meeting minutes.

> I can't say, the most recent board minutes that I can see are from
November
> 2002.  I'll trust you though, I take it you've seen the Board meeting
> minutes from December and January.

I haven't seen the official notes from either, just the summary from
January.  The official minutes can be extensively delayed, since they need
to be written up and then approved at a meeting.  So the earliest that
minutes would show up would be after they are approved at the following
meeting, as I understand it.

	--- Noel