Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es> on 2007/07/26 20:35:21 UTC

New javascript calendar (dojo)

Hi,

As a pre for correct implementation of locale date formats I am looking
forward to make a new javascript calendar. I have been testing dojo 0.9
and it has a nice widget (DateTextbox) for selecting dates, It is nice
and fast ;) and it supports different locale formats. It should be
extended however to:

- Accept time input.
- "Forget" about dojo locales (based upon CLDR, which I like but that's
another story) and allow a date format string as parameter.

These requirement should not be very difficult (I believe as I am a
newbie to dojo and javascript in general). However, being the calendar
one of the most visual parts of ofbiz I would like to see comments about
this approach.

Daniel Martínez
http://www.paradisosistemas.es

Re: New javascript calendar (dojo)

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Cool. Thank you for your comments David.

Daniel - if you create a Jira issue for this task I will help you with it.

-Adrian

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
We'll need to get OFBIZ-1170 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1170) committed prior to
introducing an HTML popup calendar. I'm not trying to pressure anyone, I'm just letting everyone
know in advance that it will be a blocker.

-Adrian

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Daniel, All interested,

Thanks for your investigations. I guess this will be a next step (using Dojo or another library it one proves better regarding
calendar stuffes). Really needed if we want to compete in this area. Calendars are important and sometimes heavily used things,
waiting for a popup ist not reasonable IMHO...

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Daniel,

I'm not against using dojo. I like the idea of using Java's Calendar class because that makes the
localization details Sun's problem, not ours or dojo's. Sun has a good handle on
internationalization, so using the Java classes for calendars almost guarantees that they will work
nearly anywhere in the world.

The HTML version should be fairly quick, since no data is being retrieved or anything. The HTML
calendar implementation will be trivial - just use the user's locale and time zone to construct a
Calendar object, and then pass that object to a Freemarker template that uses it to iterate through
the dates.

I will be available to help work on it this weekend. I can't imagine it taking more than a day.

-Adrian

Posted by Daniel Martínez <da...@paradisosistemas.es>.
Adrian,

Adrian Crum escribió:
> I've been thinking about this some more...
>
> Maybe JavaScript isn't the way to go. JavaScript doesn't have a
> Calendar class, so creating a calendar in JS is a nightmare.
>
> I looked through the dojo source that is included with OFBiz and there
> is a lot of data to maintain. Even in the dozens of dojo calendar/date
> related files there are problems - just look at all of the FIXME
> comments.
>
> I considered passing localized data to JS functions, but that has
> problems too. For example, what do you do if there are quote
> characters in translated text? Those could be escaped I guess, but
> then the code starts becoming complicated.
>
> Maybe it would be better to have a regular HTML Calendar that pops up
> in its own window. That would require server requests, but the upside
> is we can use bsh, ftl, java.util.Calendar, and our own style sheet to
> style it. The name of the HTML element that receives the date could be
> passed as a parameter so that the selected date could be fed back to
> the parent window via the JS window.opener property.
>
> What do you think?
>
> -Adrian
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> On second thought, since this is running in JavaScript, we can assume
>> the browser will default to the user's locale. The trick will be to
>> figure out how to render the calendar correctly in the user's locale.
>> Some locales have their week start on Monday, some locales have 13
>> months in a year, etc.
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> There are more locale issues than just the date format string.
>>> Different locales use different calendars. It would be best to find
>>> a way to pass a properly constructed Calendar object.
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Soluciones de Gestión para su empresa
eBusiness, ERP, CRM
*Daniel Martínez Martínez*