Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Tim Dudgeon <td...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/25 15:01:41 UTC

route <-> XML <-> route

Hi,

I'm wanting some guidance on how to generate a route definition using
the API in a way that allows it to be converted to XML and then
executed. I've got the basics sorted, but struggling on how to handle
processors and beans.
For instance, if I generate a route like this:

// generate the route
RoutesDefinition routes1 = new RoutesDefinition()
RouteDefinition route = routes1.route()
route.from("timer://foo?fixedRate=true&period=200")
route.log("Hello World!")
route.process(new SimpleProcessor())

// set route to context
CamelContext camelContext = new DefaultCamelContext()
camelContext.start()
camelContext.addRouteDefinitions(routes1.getRoutes())

Then the route works fine (e.g. my SimpleProcessor gets called as expected).
But if I generate the XML definition of the route it looks like this:

<routes xmlns="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring">
<route>
<from uri="timer://foo?fixedRate=true&amp;period=200"/>
<log message="Hello World!"/>
<process/>
</route>
</routes>

e.g. the processor definition has been lost.
I suspect I need to register the processor bean with the registry and
use the processRef() method on the route, or something along those lines.
Does anyone have any examples of how to handle this?

Thanks
Tim

Re: route <-> XML <-> route

Posted by Pontus Ullgren <ul...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 26 May 2015 at 18:10 Tim Dudgeon <td...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/05/2015 16:55, Pontus Ullgren wrote:
> > Depending on the registry you use you can create the beans in java and
> add
> > them to the registry in runtime before you add (and start) the route in
> the
> > context.
> Yes, that's what I figured. Its the exact mechanism for doing so that
> I'm trying to figure out.

Since the Camel Registry interface does not have any put/add/register
method you will need to know what registry you are using and use methods
specific to that implementation. So if you use
org.apache.camel.impl.SimpleRegistry you can do something like this.

SimpleRegistry myRegistry = (SimpleRegistry)camelContext.getRegistry();
myRegistry.put("myBeanName", new MyBean());

if you use a Spring and a SpringRouteBuilder to configure your routes you
can do something like this.
ConfigurableListableBeanFactory beanFactory =
((ConfigurableApplicationContext)getApplicationContext()).getBeanFactory();
MyBean bean = new MyBean();
beanFactory.autowireBean(bean);
beanFactory.initializeBean(bean, "myBeanName");
beanFactory.registerSingleton("myBeanName", bean);

There are probably similar ways of doing things with guice, CDI, JNDI,
YourOwnMagicRegistry

Re: route <-> XML <-> route

Posted by Tim Dudgeon <td...@gmail.com>.

Re: route <-> XML <-> route