Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/21 23:18:51 UTC

[DISCUSS]Upgrade Vmware SDK to 5.1 to support Windows 8 and Windows 2012 as VM guest OS on vmware

Hi there,

Currently Cloudstack is not supporting Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 as VM guest OS on Vmware hypervisor because we are using Vmware 4.1 web service SDK in our nonoss build. In Vmware SDK 4.1, Windows 8 and Windows 2012 are not supported guest OS, and they are only fully supported for ESXi 5.1 and ESXi 5.0 Patch 4. To support Windows 8/2012 on vmware from Cloudstack, we need to upgrade our Vmware SDK dependency from 4.1 to 5.1. There are several major changes that went into 5.1 SDK requiring some code changes in Cloudstack:

 *   Vmware SDK 5.1 is generated using JAX-WS RI implementation bundled with Java 6 instead of previous Axis, so api signature is completely changed. Simply replacing vim25.jar will break compilation of CloudStack code.
 *   Vmware SDK 5.1 for java client has gotten rid of apputils.jar that used to be in Vmware SDK 4.1, so we need to write our own wrapper layer to handle previous apputils methods.

This feature (targeted for 4.2.0)  is to fix CloudStack code to work with Vmware SDK 5.1 to be able to work with both Vcenter 5.1 and older version of Vcenter. Vcenter back-compatibilty support of the new 5.1 SDK is guaranteed by Vmware, see http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.wssdk.dsg.doc%2Fsdk_sg_introduction.3.6.html for details.

JIRA ticket:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-873

I have already had code working in my local feature branch vim51_win8, and done integration testing using Vcenter 5.1 and below, will merge to master after getting approval.

Thanks
-min

Re: [MERGE] Merge vim51_win8 to master (Vmware SDK upgrade)

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:16:17PM +0530, Min Chen wrote:
> Prasanna, do you have a sample cfg file you can share to run marvin test
> against vmware environment?

Min, you don't need a separate config file per hypervisor. once you've
added the vsphere managed cluster to your CS running from your dev
environment you can use tools/devcloud/devcloud.cfg for running these
tests. All marvin requires is the location to your management server
and the db.

There is a sample config with this information in:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Testing+with+Python#TestingwithPython-FirstSteps

Steps to run the tests:

On compiling with the developer profile marvin should have been
packaged into tools/marvin/dist/Marvin-0.1.0.tar.gz. You can install
it in a virtualenv or install it system-wide

$ cd tools/marvin/dist
$ pip install Marvin-0.1.0.tar.gz

marvin will have installed nose along with it as a dependency

Register the marvin-nose plugin
$ cd tools/marvin/marvin
$ pip install .

check that marvin is registered with nose

$ nosetests -p
Plugin xunit
Plugin multiprocess
Plugin logcapture
Plugin marvin
Plugin attributeselector

Now you can run tests tagged by devcloud in the test suite.

$ nosetests -v --with-marvin --marvin-config=tools/devcloud/devcloud.cfg --load -w test/integration/smoke -a tags='devcloud'
--
Prasanna.,

Re: [MERGE] Merge vim51_win8 to master (Vmware SDK upgrade)

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Testing+with+Python#TestingwithPython-RunningDevcloudTests

--
Prasanna.,

Re: [MERGE] Merge vim51_win8 to master (Vmware SDK upgrade)

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 02:34:08AM +0530, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:19:00PM -0800, Min Chen wrote:
> > Honestly speaking, the reason that I didn't run existing marvin test suite
> > against my local setup is that I myself is not familiar with Marvin test
> > framework and don't know how to cook up a marvin test setup for Vmware.
> > But IMHO, run marvin test against my local setup does not add extra values
> > to those manual tests I have done. To really enable automated integration
> > testing for this feature, we need to have CI environment for Vmware in
> > place.
> >

> So I'm +1 on the merge, but wanted to raise the concern that testing
> manually (not considering the test environment) is generally brittle and
> easily forgotten.  IMO, we should all learn how to create scenarios for
> Marvin.

That would be great. Simplifying the writing of marvin tests is on my
plate right now. Just been waylaid by a whole bunch of other issues in
the meantime.

--
Prasanna.,

Re: [MERGE] Merge vim51_win8 to master (Vmware SDK upgrade)

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.
FYI. vim51_win8 has been merged into master branch now.

NOTE: With this merge, to build non-oss build, you need to first download
Vmware 5.1 SDK from
https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-download?downloadGroup=VSP510-WEBSDK
-510 (Version: 5.1, Release-date: 2012-09-10, Build: 774886), and place it
in deps folder and rename it as vim25_51.jar, then run
deps/install-non-oss.sh to install it into your m2 repo.

Wido, would you mind hosting this new jar at this place
http://zooi.widodh.nl/cloudstack/build-dep
<http://zooi.widodh.nl/cloudstack/build-dep along with other non-oss jars?
I can send you the jar and then I can update wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/How+to+build+on+mast
er+branch.

Thanks
-min

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS]Upgrade Vmware SDK to 5.1 to support Windows 8 and Windows 2012 as VM guest OS on vmware

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.
Thanks for nice feedback.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
+1 Min, awesome job! Valid concerns from Hugo, then go for it.

Regards.

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hey Min,

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.