Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ben Wylie <sa...@benwylie.co.uk> on 2005/06/05 18:59:55 UTC

Block empty zip files

I get quite a lot of empty zip files, I presume from viruses having failed
to place themselves in them.

They always look like:

UEsFBgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==
in base64.

Do others get these emails?
Could someone advice me as to what kind of rule I could write to block
these?

I presume a body rule with:

body EMPTY_ZIP		/UEsFBgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==/i
wouldn't work as it is in a separate mime part, or would it?

Thanks
Ben

Re: Block empty zip files

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> it, but I was wondering what test could check for
> UEsFBgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== in a mime part

Ah.  Tricky.  That has the disadvantage of being a non-text mime part, so SA
tends to throw them in the trash.  Nothing will find it on 2.6x, other than
perhaps a modification of the MICROSOFT_EXECUTABLE eval.

I'm not positive on 3.0, but *possibly* a full-body rule would catch it,
thusly:

full LW_SMALL_ZIP /^UEsFBgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==$/
score LW_SMALL_ZIP whatever
describe LW_SMALL_ZIP Small zip file, probably deleted virus

        Loren

BTW, I bet that a rule like this would catch a whole lot of virui and phish:

body    LW_SUSPENDED    /account has been suspended/
score    LW_SUSPENDED    1
describe LW_SUSPENDED    Typical phish/virus phrase.

Re: Block empty zip files

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Ben Wylie" <sa...@benwylie.co.uk>

> > Get Tim Jackson's bogus virus bounce ruleset.
>
> I've just added that ruleset but it didn't help as far as I can see.
> I have two custom rules which hit the text in the email, and spf also
caught
> it, but I was wondering what test could check for
> UEsFBgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== in a mime part

full    JD_INVALID_ZIP  /UEsFBgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==/s
describe JD_INVALID_ZIP Invalid - empty - zip file.
score JD_INVALID_ZIP    0.1

I don't know if that will trigger on ALL zips or not.
{^_^}

RE: Block empty zip files

Posted by Ben Wylie <sa...@benwylie.co.uk>.
> Get Tim Jackson's bogus virus bounce ruleset.

I've just added that ruleset but it didn't help as far as I can see.
I have two custom rules which hit the text in the email, and spf also caught
it, but I was wondering what test could check for
UEsFBgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA== in a mime part

Here is the full email:

From: fake@mydomain.tld
To: email@mydomain.tld
Subject: *DETECTED* Online User Violation
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:57:16 +0200
	*  0.0 NO_REAL_NAME From: does not include a real name
	*  3.1 SPF_HELO_SOFTFAIL SPF: HELO does not match SPF record
(softfail)
	*      [SPF failed: Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=arkbb.co.uk&ip=195.205.119.242&receiver
=server]
	*  1.5 SUSPENDED_ACCOUNT BODY: SUSPENDED_ACCOUNT
	*  1.5 POLICY_VIOLATION BODY: POLICY_VIOLATION
	*  0.0 BAYES_50 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 40 to 60%
	*      [score: 0.5004]
	*  1.1 PRIORITY_NO_NAME Message has priority, but no
X-Mailer/User-Agent
	*  0.0 MISSING_MIMEOLE Message has X-MSMail-Priority, but no
X-MimeOLE

------=_NextPart_000_0014_1ED76C19.07657A59

We regret to inform you that your account has been suspended due to the
violation of our site policy, more info is attached.

Re: Block empty zip files

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.