Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2009/06/03 09:58:43 UTC

Re: [M10] Testing

In message <3b...@mail.gmail.com>,
Nathan Beyer writes:

> I changed most of the issues from 5M10 to Unknown, as they were issues
> that existed with M9 and either didn't show up until code freeze or
> didn't get looked at.
>
> We just need to get in the practice of leaving issues unknown until
> they're fixed and then mark the fix version.
>
> I would like to see the NOTICE and README issues fixed or commented
> on. I think Tim was working on one of them.

I think we need a top-level README file with the crucial export notice.
This README can then be included in all the jars.  We don't seem to have
a top-level README anywhere but perhaps something like the appended text
would do for now?

I think that would be acceptable for M10 but we can always refine the
top-level README later and consider whether more specific README files
might be appropriate for individual jars.

I'd appreciate comments and/or permission to commit the README and
necessary jar changes (which I'm preparing a patch for)?

Regards,
 Mark.

Apache Harmony - Open Source Java SE
http://harmony.apache.org/

Apache Harmony is the Java SE project of the Apache Software Foundation.

The aim of the project is to produce a large and healthy community of
those interested in runtime platforms tasked with creation of:

 * A compatible, independent implementation of the Java SE 5 JDK under
   the Apache License v2

 * A community-developed modular runtime (VM and class library)
   architecture.

For more information about using Apache Harmony see:

  http://harmony.apache.org/quickhelp_users.html

Export Notice
-------------

This distribution includes cryptographic software.  The country in
which you currently reside may have restrictions on the import,
possession, use, and/or re-export to another country, of
encryption software.  BEFORE using any encryption software, please
check your country's laws, regulations and policies concerning the
import, possession, or use, and re-export of encryption software, to
see if this is permitted.  See http://www.wassenaar.org/ for more
information.

The U.S. Government Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and
Security (BIS), has classified this software as Export Commodity
Control Number (ECCN) 5D002.C.1, which includes information security
software using or performing cryptographic functions with asymmetric
algorithms.  The form and manner of this Apache Software Foundation
distribution makes it eligible for export under the License Exception
ENC Technology Software Unrestricted (TSU) exception (see the BIS
Export Administration Regulations, Section 740.13) for both object
code and source code.

The following provides more details on the included cryptographic
software:

Apache Harmony contains code that is specifically designed to enable
cryptography.  In particular Apache Harmony contains an implementation
the Java cryptographic extensions.  In addition, binary distributions
of Apache Harmony may contain cryptographic functionality provided by
The Legion of the Bouncy Castle (http://www.bouncycastle.org).

Re: [M10] Testing

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
I think that looks fine in general, but it might be better not to
mention Java 5 specifically since we are also working towards Java 6
and our Java 6 snapshots would presumably contain this readme after
the next merge.

--
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: [M10] Testing

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
We are not obliged to include the readme in all JAR files, just once at
the top level of the distribution.  However, we /do/ need to include the
license and notice files in each JARs.

Regards,
Tim