Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2002/07/09 05:37:03 UTC

RE: DynaActionForm Advantages

My two cents on the topic.

As mentioned, once you move to a good Java IDE like JBuilder, writing
getters and setters is no longer nearly the pain it used to be.

What bothers me about the DynaBean approach is that it's *yet another*
file, and *yet another* level of indirection that obscure what's really
going on.  I can look at an ActionForm, see all the properties, look at the
validation, all in one step.  Making it a DynaBean form means having to
maintain another file with the XML, always having to remember where it is, etc.

I think the decision to use one or the other is a matter of programming
style, but I don't think either one is dogmatically a best practice.

James

RE: DynaActionForm Advantages

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
I agree with James on the extra level aspect.  I've been finding that
the finer the granularity in my struts application, the easier it is to
maintain [for each action, a specialized form/bean].

I did opt though for the validator, since it brought regexp validation
to the table which is invaluable and fairly easy to setup in an
afternoon.

Jake