Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2008/07/30 00:35:03 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Hi,
In preparation of the maven-war-plugin, I'd like to release and
promote out of the sandbox the maven-filtering component version
1.0-alpha-1.
The goal of this component is to provide a common tool for maven
plugins to filtering resources.

Staging repo : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-repo/

Staging site : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-sites/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/

Svn tag : https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/tags/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Here my +1.

--
Olivier

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Done.
Just wait sync.

--
Olivier

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Olivier,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
I am -1:
1) Site is incorrect. The overview links do not work.

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
There were no objections to the promotion from the sandbox.

One -1 vote on the release, by dennisl. Olivier agreed to cancel the
release vote because of that. A new vote for the release will come later on.

I'll start working on the promotion from sandbox.

Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> In preparation of the maven-war-plugin, I'd like to release and
> promote out of the sandbox the maven-filtering component version
> 1.0-alpha-1.
> The goal of this component is to provide a common tool for maven
> plugins to filtering resources.
>
> Staging repo : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-repo/
>
> Staging site : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-sites/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>
> Svn tag : https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/tags/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> Here my +1.
>
> --
> Olivier

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
2008/7/31 Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:
> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dennis,
>> Ok I understand the point.
>> But nothing prevent us to republish the site with this the scm url fix
>
> Actually it does, because that site would then be labeled with the next
> version (1.0-beta-1-SNAPSHOT). That is confusing to the users and we should
> try to avoid it if we can.

Agree, the site will be in phase with the tag to make build reproducibility.
I know that several plugins are deployed as snapshot but we need to avoid this.

Cheers,

Vincent

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
> Ok I understand the point.
> But nothing prevent us to republish the site with this the scm url fix

Actually it does, because that site would then be labeled with the next
version (1.0-beta-1-SNAPSHOT). That is confusing to the users and we
should try to avoid it if we can.

In the case of maven-filtering it seems that none of that maintenance
work is needed, except for the actual move in SVN.

> (btw thanks to you and vincent for documentation fix).
>
> --
> Olivier
>
> 2008/7/31 Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:
>> This is usually done in two steps, with some maintenance work in-between:
>>
>> 1. promote from sandbox
>>
>> 2. Fix SCM URLs, site etc due to the promotion from sandbox
>>
>> 3. release
>>

>> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> In preparation of the maven-war-plugin, I'd like to release and
>>> promote out of the sandbox the maven-filtering component version
>>> 1.0-alpha-1.
>>> The goal of this component is to provide a common tool for maven
>>> plugins to filtering resources.
>>>
>>> Staging repo : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-repo/
>>>
>>> Staging site :
>>> http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-sites/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>>>
>>> Svn tag :
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/tags/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>>>
>>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1
>>> [ ] +0
>>> [ ] -1
>>>
>>> Here my +1.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Olivier

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi Dennis,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/08/2008, at 6:01 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> This is usually done in two steps, with some maintenance work in-
> between:
>
> 1. promote from sandbox
>
> 2. Fix SCM URLs, site etc due to the promotion from sandbox
>
> 3. release

I think all the SCM information in the release is correct, the trunk
just needs to be moved?

+1 to both this release and moving out of the sandbox.

And an unrelated question: is there some support in here for escaping?
A limitation I'm frustrated by in the resources plugin is the
inability to stop something like ${java.home} be filtered in by
specifying, say, \${java.home}

Cheers,
Brett

> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>> Hi,
>> In preparation of the maven-war-plugin, I'd like to release and
>> promote out of the sandbox the maven-filtering component version
>> 1.0-alpha-1.
>> The goal of this component is to provide a common tool for maven
>> plugins to filtering resources.
>> Staging repo : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-repo/
>> Staging site : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-sites/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>> Svn tag : https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/tags/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>> [ ] +1
>> [ ] +0
>> [ ] -1
>> Here my +1.
>> --
>> Olivier

> Dennis Lundberg

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> In preparation of the maven-war-plugin, I'd like to release and
> promote out of the sandbox the maven-filtering component version
> 1.0-alpha-1.
> The goal of this component is to provide a common tool for maven
> plugins to filtering resources.
>
> Staging repo : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-repo/
>
> Staging site : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-sites/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>
> Svn tag : https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/tags/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> Here my +1.
>
> --
> Olivier

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
Yes, +1 !

- Fabrice
bellingard@apache.org

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2008/7/31 Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>:
> Thanks for pushing this towards a release!
>
> +1 on promotion from sandbox
>
> -1 on release due to bad spelling of the file name of a public class. Fixed
> in svn r681499.

Ok, I will cancel this and do an other release.

> Also I have some questions, after reading the docs (I fixed some minor
> documentation issues in SVN).
> Disclaimer: I haven't used, or even tried to use, the component.
:-)

> I find the docs difficult to understand. Perhaps it is the order in which
> the parts are presented? Or perhaps there is something missing? I would like
> to have an introduction to what filtering is as the first paragraph on the
> index page.

The base concept is too have a common component for all plugins
(resources, war, ear, assembly etc...) which apply filtering on file
ressources.
Yes a large part of the code is coming from the resources plugin
(except now this component uses the plexus-interpolation component).
Plus some new features like automatic exclusions of file extensions
(images)  when filtering (this will prevent users to write extra lines
on the pom).

> The list (filters, project.filters, project.build.filters, pom.properties
> and mavenSession.executionProperties) on the index page doesn't tell me
> much. What are those: concepts, properties, files or classes?

List of properties file ( String -> path properties files )
pom.filters ( String -> path properties files )
pom.build.filters ( String -> path properties files )
pom.properties (Properties class)
mavenSession.executionProperties (Properties class)

NOTE : System.properties is never used.

>The second <pre> section on the usage page are difficult in a similar way.

It was just to described the object MavenResourcesExecution but the
javadoc should be enough.

> Is there a reason for this not being a beta release? IIUC the code comes
> from the Resources Plugin and is tried and tested in that way.

Yes and I have created a branch of the plugin which use this
component. (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/branches/MRESOURCES-56/)

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Thanks for pushing this towards a release!

+1 on promotion from sandbox

-1 on release due to bad spelling of the file name of a public class.
Fixed in svn r681499.

Also I have some questions, after reading the docs (I fixed some minor
documentation issues in SVN).
Disclaimer: I haven't used, or even tried to use, the component.

I find the docs difficult to understand. Perhaps it is the order in
which the parts are presented? Or perhaps there is something missing? I
would like to have an introduction to what filtering is as the first
paragraph on the index page.

The list (filters, project.filters, project.build.filters,
pom.properties and mavenSession.executionProperties) on the index page
doesn't tell me much. What are those: concepts, properties, files or
classes? The second <pre> section on the usage page are difficult in a
similar way.

Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> In preparation of the maven-war-plugin, I'd like to release and
> promote out of the sandbox the maven-filtering component version
> 1.0-alpha-1.
> The goal of this component is to provide a common tool for maven
> plugins to filtering resources.
>
> Staging repo : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-repo/
>
> Staging site : http://people.apache.org/~olamy/staging-sites/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>
> Svn tag : https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/shared/tags/maven-filtering-1.0-alpha-1/
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> Here my +1.
>
> --
> Olivier

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Aaron Digulla <di...@hepe.com>.
Quoting Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:

> Hi,
> In preparation of the maven-war-plugin, I'd like to release and
> promote out of the sandbox the maven-filtering component version
> 1.0-alpha-1.
> The goal of this component is to provide a common tool for maven
> plugins to filtering resources.

If you're planning to filter XML files, too, you might want to have a
look at my new XML parser DecentXML. It's designed to be able to
modify existing XML files with the least amount of disruption.

http://www.pdark.de/

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven Filtering version 1.0-alpha-1

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

BTW I fixed some typo in the documentation.

Cheers,

Vincent