Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tom White <to...@apache.org> on 2011/08/04 07:56:22 UTC

[VOTE] Graduation of the Whirr Podling

Hi everyone,

The Whirr podling joined the incubator in May 2010. Since then it has
made 5 releases following Apache guidelines, added 4 new committers,
and added 3 new PPMC members. The community is healthy and growing,
and we've shown an ability to self-govern using accepted Apache
practices.

The Whirr podling has now voted to graduate:

Vote: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-whirr-dev/201107.mbox/%3CCABqR8u_+mK8W_z-4vU-+9MWg+c+r4c1kMUhXA1dRMuLujNUJrA@mail.gmail.com%3E
Result: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-whirr-dev/201107.mbox/%3CCABqR8u8NtTkqXJERp-TxNn4JLJRVqyRsrqxuESjiYq2Td53TSg@mail.gmail.com%3E

The vote received 7 PPMC approvals, of which 3 were also IPMC members
(Patrick Hunt, Doug Cutting, and myself).

I would like to ask the IPMC to approve the graduation.

[  ] +1 - I approve of the Whirr graduation
[  ] +0 - I have no opinion
[  ] -1 - There's an issue with graduation at this time, which is....

Voting will be open for 72 hours. Please find the proposed board
resolution below.

Thanks
Tom

## Resolution to create a TLP from graduating Incubator podling

    X. Establish the Apache Whirr Project

       open-source software related to running services on cloud
       infrastructure for distribution at no charge to the public.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Whirr Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Whirr Project be and hereby is
       related to running services on cloud infrastructure;
       and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Whirr" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache Whirr Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache Whirr Project; and be it further

       Apache Whirr Project:

         * Adrian Cole              <ad...@apache.org>
         * Lars George              <la...@apache.org>
         * Patrick Hunt             <ph...@apache.org>
         * Tibor Kiss               <ti...@apache.org>
         * Johan Oskarsson          <jo...@apache.org>
         * Andrew Purtell           <ap...@apache.org>
         * Andrei Savu              <as...@apache.org>
         * Tom White                <to...@apache.org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Tom White
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Whirr, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Whirr PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Whirr Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Whirr Project be and hereby
       Incubator Whirr podling; and be it further

       Incubator Whirr podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
       Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of the Whirr Podling

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Tom White <to...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> The Whirr podling joined the incubator in May 2010. Since then it has
>> made 5 releases following Apache guidelines, added 4 new committers,
>> and added 3 new PPMC members. The community is healthy and growing,
>> and we've shown an ability to self-govern using accepted Apache
>> practices.
>>
>> The Whirr podling has now voted to graduate:
>>
>> Vote: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-whirr-dev/201107.mbox/%3CCABqR8u_+mK8W_z-4vU-+9MWg+c+r4c1kMUhXA1dRMuLujNUJrA@mail.gmail.com%3E
>> Result: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-whirr-dev/201107.mbox/%3CCABqR8u8NtTkqXJERp-TxNn4JLJRVqyRsrqxuESjiYq2Td53TSg@mail.gmail.com%3E
>>
>> The vote received 7 PPMC approvals, of which 3 were also IPMC members
>> (Patrick Hunt, Doug Cutting, and myself).
>>
>> I would like to ask the IPMC to approve the graduation.
>>
>> [ X] +1 - I approve of the Whirr graduation
>> [  ] +0 - I have no opinion
>> [  ] -1 - There's an issue with graduation at this time, which is....

(with sweet grammaticalogical irony ...) the next line pertains to the
below, and not to the above

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 from me (binding).

Congrats guys!

Cheers,
Chris

On Aug 3, 2011, at 10:56 PM, Tom White wrote:

> [...]
>
>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Tom White
>       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Whirr, to
>       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>       Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Whirr PMC be and hereby is
>       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>       encourage open development and increased participation in the
>       Apache Whirr Project; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the Apache Whirr Project be and hereby
>       is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>       Incubator Whirr podling; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>       Incubator Whirr podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [VOTE] Graduation of the Whirr Podling

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
+1 (not binding)

--
Hyunsik

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

> [...]
>
>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Tom White
>       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Whirr, to
>       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>       Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Whirr PMC be and hereby is
>       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>       encourage open development and increased participation in the
>       Apache Whirr Project; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that the Apache Whirr Project be and hereby
>       is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>       Incubator Whirr podling; and be it further
>
>       RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>       Incubator Whirr podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

- Mohammad Nour
- Blog: http://tadabborat.blogspot.com
----
- Albert Einstein