Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org> on 2003/04/25 11:26:13 UTC

Avalon Facade moved to Log4j?

Hi,

Would you consider adding in the following facade to Log4j? In Avalon we
already have one such facade but in the past several people have had problems
due to version mismatches etc. What we would like to do is allow the user to
use version X of Log4j even if another part of avalon is using version Y. To
do this we can separate out the facade to live with Log4j and load things in
different classloaders.

Anyways the class should not need maintanence of any sort and if it ever does
I will do it for you. I will setup gump to build it nightly for you. The only
thing really needed is just to make sure when you build a distribution that
it is included in the dist.

This work for you?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
*-------------------------------------------------*

|   "I have never let my schooling interfere      |
|   with my education." -Mark Twain               |

*-------------------------------------------------*

Re: Avalon Facade moved to Log4j?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Peter,

This was not forgotten. I'll take care of it tomorrow.

       http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp

Re: Avalon Facade moved to Log4j?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:17, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> Which version of the Avalon framework should we use to build the
> distribution?

Pretty much any vaguely modern version will do. The latest version is 4.1.4
and is available via

http://apache.ausgamers.com/avalon/framework/v4.1.4/

TIA

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Avalon Facade moved to Log4j?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 07:26 PM 4/25/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Would you consider adding in the following facade to Log4j? In Avalon we
>already have one such facade but in the past several people have had problems
>due to version mismatches etc. What we would like to do is allow the user to
>use version X of Log4j even if another part of avalon is using version Y. To
>do this we can separate out the facade to live with Log4j and load things in
>different classloaders.
>
>Anyways the class should not need maintanence of any sort and if it ever does
>I will do it for you. I will setup gump to build it nightly for you. The only
>thing really needed is just to make sure when you build a distribution that
>it is included in the dist.
>
>This work for you?

Sure, with pleasure.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 08:32 AM 5/1/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>On Thu, 1 May 2003 08:13, you wrote:
> > Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for the clarification.
> >
> > The new avalon dependency will break the gump build of log4j. Have you
> > given the issue any thought?
>
>In theory (I think I made Avalon optional) the avalon dependency wont break
>log4j as such - it just wont be built in the gump run as it stands.

Yes, clearly. I should have figured out that much.

>However I  know how to fix that - Essentially I create a
>bootstrap-avalon-framework that
>jakarta-log4j depends upon and then create an avalon-framework project that
>depends on jakarta-log4j. I can do this over next week.

Please don't bother.

Commits of Log4JAvalonLogger and buil.xml will follow in a few moments.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Thu, 1 May 2003 08:13, you wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> The new avalon dependency will break the gump build of log4j. Have you
> given the issue any thought?

In theory (I think I made Avalon optional) the avalon dependency wont break
log4j as such - it just wont be built in the gump run as it stands. However I
know how to fix that - Essentially I create a bootstrap-avalon-framework that
jakarta-log4j depends upon and then create an avalon-framework project that
depends on jakarta-log4j. I can do this over next week.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
The big mistake that men make is that when they turn thirteen or fourteen and
all of a sudden they've reached puberty, they believe that they like women.
Actually, you're just horny. It doesn't mean you like women any more at
twenty-one than you did at ten.                --Jules Feiffer (cartoonist)

Re: Avalon Facade moved to Log4j?

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Peter,

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Peter,

Looking at Log4JAvalonLogger, it looks like an adapter that presents
an Avalon logger interface but uses log4j underneath.

Perhaps a stupid question but what is the advantage of having
Log4JAvalonLogger in log4j rather than in Avalon?

Please feel free to CC this to avalon-dev if you wish to.