Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2017/11/01 18:15:10 UTC

Is IJobSubmissionResult.DriverUrl working?

Hi,

`IJobSubmissionResult.DriverUrl` doesn't seem to be working for me. I
changed lines 74ff of `HelloREEF.cs` to:

```
IJobSubmissionResult jobSubmissionResult =
_reefClient.SubmitAndGetJobStatus(helloJobRequest);
Console.WriteLine("Driver URL: " + jobSubmissionResult.DriverUrl);
```

The resulting printout on the console is:

```
Driver URL:
```

So, the URL is empty.

Is this known to (not) work?

Thanks,

Markus

Re: Is IJobSubmissionResult.DriverUrl working?

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
As this is blocking my work on REEF-1942 to determine the status of a
Driver from the .NET Client (which in turn blocks REEF-1271, an overhaul of
our test infra), I filled a JIRA for it:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/REEF-1943

Let's move the discussion there.

Markus

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Julia Wang (QIUHE) <
Qiuhe.Wang@microsoft.com.invalid> wrote:

> For any code that inject YarnREEFClient, when it calls YarnREEFClient.SubmitAndGetJobStatus(),
> YarnJobSubmissionResult will be created and DriverUrl will be pulled out
> and logged.
>
> I always run HelloReefYarn in cluster, I am able to see driverUrl logged
> on the console.

OK, I believe I have traced this back to a change I made in my work on
REEF-1942. Will close REEF-1943 once I confirm that. Sorry about the mail
storm!

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
For any code that inject YarnREEFClient, when it calls YarnREEFClient.SubmitAndGetJobStatus(), YarnJobSubmissionResult will be created and DriverUrl will be pulled out and logged.

I always run HelloReefYarn in cluster, I am able to see driverUrl logged on the console.

Julia

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Julia Wang (QIUHE) <
Qiuhe.Wang@microsoft.com.invalid> wrote:

> Yes, it can be added there. Then for client, it will become blocking call
> until the method is returned. Also we might want allow client to pass retry
> number, etc

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

That being said, this seems pretty brittle, but probably the best we can do
until we get around to implementing a proper client for REEF.NET. I'll mark
this as Unstable in all the right places for nobody to take a production
dependency on it :)

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
Yes, it can be added there. Then for client, it will become blocking call until the method is returned. Also we might want allow client to pass retry number, etc.

Julia

> In client code, like HelloReef, the client may also need some retry
> logic to get it.

OK. And we'd put that retry logic in the implementation of IJobSubmissionResult, right?

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
In Java REEF client, we have re-try logic to get the driver url and then write it to a file for client. In client code, like HelloReef, the client may also need some retry logic to get it.

Julia

> It takes some time for DriverUrl to be available. Usually after submit
> job, you won't get driver url right way.

What is a safe way to use the API, then?

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.