Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2002/08/21 15:57:18 UTC

Re: [RT] Maven as an Avalon container

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 10:12, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 07:24:18AM -0400, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 07:18, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > > A random thought wrt. Maven and Avalon: imagine if Maven had an embedded
> > > Avalon container (phoenix or something), with which plugins could
> > > register Components to be deployed (eg phoenix .sars). This could have a
> > > number of uses:
> >
> > It's not a random thought actually, I wanted plexus and Maven to share
> > the same container whatever that happens to be. Right now plexus and
> > Maven are using the same mechanis for processing plugins. Primitive, but
> > I'm waiting for things to settle down around here before flipping the
> > container in Plexus.
>
> Great! I gather Plexus is some sort of homegrown container? There's not
> much info about it. Will it end up at Jakarta?

It's a homegrown container, first based on Fortress and then on Tweety
when there were some glitches in Fortress with the move from Composable
to Serviceable. These were fixed but I just stuck with the tweety
variant as I'm really playing with components and trying to figure out
exactly how I want the overall thing to work. I hope to dump it and use
whatever you guys decide is the standard container. I have no desire to
write a full-blown container.

> > I've chatted with Peter about this too. I've made a point of not
> > mentioning it as it felt to me like a cheap tactic if I said Maven
> > might be based on Avalon.
>
> Well I just blew it for you then ;P

> > I think the most important thing for me to do right now is get the docs
> > back in line so people know what it planned.
>
> You must have a few forked versions of yourself working in parallel
> universes to keep up with turbine, maven, avalon and all ;) In case
> no-one's said it yet, thanks for the offers to help with the build
> system.
>

> --Jeff
>
> > Jason van Zyl
> > jason@apache.org