Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Mike Burati <mb...@bowstreet.com> on 2003/12/19 17:17:13 UTC

Plan for a release/download (was RE: Mavenizing the build)

Carsten et al,

I guess I would have to agree with that yahoo poster below that a release of
something buildable (even if just a source zip and not binaries) would be
nice.  We've had customers/prospects asking us how to get Pluto since they
couldn't figure it out from http://jakarta.apache.org/pluto/  either.  In
fact, the poster below may be one of our customers/prospects that's asked us
that same question :-)

We got Pluto ourselves via CVS and it built/installed just fine using the
instructions at http://jakarta.apache.org/pluto/install.html and the
GettingStarted.txt included in the jakarta-pluto dir.  The trick is knowing
how to get it in the first place, since the instructions at
http://jakarta.apache.org/pluto/ direct you to download the source from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi first, and Pluto is nowhere
to be found at that location.

Anyway, just another point of view from a WebApp/Portlet solution company
with customers looking to get their hands on this stuff and get started.

NOTE:  Stefan brought up the issue of a 1.0 release earlier this month:

    Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:53:24 +0100
    From: Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>
    Subject: Is pluto moving toward a release?

    I'm for creating a 1.0 release with binaries based on the initial drop,
    as this was the drop that got certified as JSR 168 reference
    implementation. This way everyone can at least download the certified RI

    without compiling it on their own.

    I'll send a list that I have in a separate mail.

Also NOTE that David DeWolf pointed out in that thread that any release from
an Incubation project would have to go through the process described at:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases%0D%0A

And another note/question.  The Pluto incubation project status page still
doesn't list a time frame for an exit strategry (from the incubation stage)
- still TBD.   Any update/plan for that?
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/pluto.html

I believe WSRP4J, which relies on Pluto, is itself working towards existing
incubation (under the mentoring and watchful eye of Davanum, the Apache
co-mentor of wsrp4j's incubation) - what's Pluto's plan?

..Mike