Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Sabherwal, Balvinder (MBS)" <Ba...@mortgagefamily.com> on 2002/01/15 13:59:54 UTC

Internal Error

I have a cgi (Perl) script to generate HTML output. The output is as below

<select name="apps">
<option  value="Landscape">Landscape</option>
<option  value="Phhorce">Phhorce</option>
</select>
<input type="hidden" name="rm" value="mode2" /><input type="submit"
name=".submit" />

When I call this script from my web url, I get the error as below. Does
anyone have an idea as what could be the reason??

Internal Server Error
to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, admin@dba.cendant.com and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have caused the error.

Re: Internal Error

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
"Sabherwal, Balvinder (MBS)" wrote:

> I have a cgi (Perl) script to generate HTML output.
> When I call this script from my web url, I get the error as below. Does
> anyone have an idea as what could be the reason??
>
> Internal Server Error
> The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
> to complete your request.

This simply means that, as far as CGI is concerned, your script didn't
work. Check out
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/cgi.html#writingacgiprogram for
details...

The main things to watch are:

- you must output a CGI header before all else,
- the program must run successfully as apache User
- the program must actually work!

You may like to look also at the ScriptLog directive - useful for
capturing STDERR from CGI scripts...

rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: Internal Error

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Mike Arrison wrote:
> Although it looks like you might be trying to use XML.  Frankly I don't know
> the declaration for that.  Anyone?  Beuler?  Beuler?

XML is processed in the server before transmission - so the client still
sees only HTML and the mime-type is still "text/html".

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

RE: Internal Error

Posted by Mike Arrison <ar...@gnostech.com>.
Most likely you're forgetting the Content-type declaration.  Before
outputting any HTML code from a script, you're going to need to print
something like "Content-type: text/html\n\n".  So in Perl it would be
something like:

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<html><head>...

Although it looks like you might be trying to use XML.  Frankly I don't know
the declaration for that.  Anyone?  Beuler?  Beuler?

     -Mike Arrison
      arrison@gnostech.com
      Systems Engineer
      Gnostech, Inc.