Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de> on 2000/10/16 02:29:27 UTC

RE: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching

I think Stefano is damn right.
*** That is the reason I keep lurking in this list. ***

Considering the currently available web design tools and my employer
commercial needs, I am using different technology to build our
publishing/CM system.

I am not even going to talk why I prefer other solutions now and what
I think to be good or bad in Cocoon. Except that "semantic searching"
is the potential key advantage of Cocoon.

In the future, XML based technologies are the way to go, mostly
because of "semantic searching".

Many people try to see it happening with a global standards
initiative. However, I agree that starting with a W3C imposed
standard is bound to fail. And the poor reception of RDF - outside
academic circles - is a sign of that.

But there are other ways. Especially the CMS way.

More and more organizations are using Web technologies to manage and
publish information. The more they do it the more they want to do it
in a systematic way. And that is why there is so much demand for CMS
(Content Management System).

Semantic Search is a precious feature of CMS. When you keep a large
amount of published content, you have to maintain both data and its
formatting. This means that you have to, not only create, but to
update and fix published data and layout - whish also implies that
you will have to search whatever data and layout instances you want
to update or fix.

The commercial evolution of CMSs will ensure the creation of tools
to search both instances of data and layout, even if that means the
use of layout (template) and data publishing mechanisms that are
easier to search/parse - as XSLT, XSQL and other XML derived
technologies. Analyzing structure (which RDF tries to help with)
comes next on the wish list.

At first, only the most advanced CM systems will include all these
features. Since standards openness has strong commercial advantages
(besides all the others), these features will probably be based on
standards like the above mentioned XML, XSLT, XHTML, RDF, etc.

Then, we will not have yet a "semantic web" but we will have a few
"semantic sites" - for those organizations that can pay those tools.

As CM systems and related tools get more popularized (it happens
with all technology) there will be more and more "semantic sites".

Maybe not all the "semantic sites" then will be built using full
fledged CMSs. However they will probably be built with versions of
Dreamweaver or FrontPage supporting XHTML, XML data publishing,
XSLT template design, RDF site description, etc.

Remember, tools like Dreamweaver and FrontPage will evolve to be
able to integrate with full fledged CM Systems - big customers -
or compete with them - in the smaller ones.

When these "semantic sites" reach a critical mass, that is when the
stronger global "semantic web" initiatives will start popping up -
maybe a whole new generation of search engines or a whole new
class of navigation tools.

And after those initiatives start popping up, that is when everybody
will try to jump into the Semantic Web wagon.

To me, this sounds quite reasonable.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Paul Russell wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:42:49PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > However I would love a list to bounce around random ideas and see where
> > they end up ;). Not sure what the charter for such a group would be - but
> > as I guess most would be re: web stuff so ??? ;)
>
> Depends on what the ideas are, I suppose. Most of mine concern
> what replaces the web as it stands at the moment, and most of
> stefanos seem to be along similar lines (although they take a
> different tack). I just want to get some of these things out
> into the open so that people who I trust to work in the best
> interests of everyone can build the architecture to support it
> without it being controlled by one company.
>
> The irony in all this is that I'm your architypical capitalist -
> I own a company for crying out loud. What I can't work out is
> why the other companies think the only way to make money is as a
> monopoly, rather than just by being the best.

Because a monopoly is easier to manage, easier to protect and lasts
longer :)

But don't worry: as long as Apache remains the leader provider of web
technologies, the web will remain as it is today.

We just have to make sure that corporations don't pollute us from the
inside or use us for their political games, and we keep innovating and
proposing alternative solutions as a whole group.

Yes, patents might prevent this from happening, but the US patent system
has been changed to allow individuals to submit evidences of previous
technology for 3 months... and a world-wide mirrored softare and mail
messages are very solid legal evidences of prior art.

So, let's keep up the good work on software here and compete on services
out there :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:42:49PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> However I would love a list to bounce around random ideas and see where
> they end up ;). Not sure what the charter for such a group would be - but
> as I guess most would be re: web stuff so ??? ;)

Depends on what the ideas are, I suppose. Most of mine concern
what replaces the web as it stands at the moment, and most of
stefanos seem to be along similar lines (although they take a
different tack). I just want to get some of these things out
into the open so that people who I trust to work in the best
interests of everyone can build the architecture to support it
without it being controlled by one company.

The irony in all this is that I'm your architypical capitalist -
I own a company for crying out loud. What I can't work out is
why the other companies think the only way to make money is as a
monopoly, rather than just by being the best.

Paul

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching

Posted by Peter Donald <pj...@cs.latrobe.edu.au>.
At 09:37  17/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I second that, and I'd like to add something more. I'm rapidly
>heading for paranoia regarding software patents and the like.
>I don't know about you lot, but I have a lot of ideas floating
>around that I simply don't have *time* to write down and/or
>explore. What worries me is that some commercial organisation
>could think of them in a few years time and claim them as theirs,
>which I *really* don't want to happen. Potentially world changing
>ideas should belong to *everyone* not a money making entity.
>
>Is it worth someone setting up a mailing list or something for
>just bouncing [RT]s around all day? There are a lot of visionaries
>on this list (most of the commiters for a start) and it seems to
>me that these people are just the kind of people to start such
>a list. If there's a list with all these ideas archived not only
>centrally but on a couple of thousand people's inboxes, nobody
>will be able to claim patents on anything sent to the list as
>there's already clearly a prior art.
>
>Thoughts?

Nice idea thou I am not sure how successful it will be in blocking patents.
All the major PITA patents clearly had prior art but got through. While
patents will soon (or currently are ?) forced to open up during application
stage there still needs someone to constantly watchdog them and then foot
the bill to go to court/through the process.

Some of the patents are clearly rediculous (ie nulls for terminating linked
lists is patented as is advertisements in interactive entertainmen) but
there are others less so and backed by companies willing to defend them.
Taking out those big fellas would be way to expensive a process i do
believe ;(

However I would love a list to bounce around random ideas and see where
they end up ;). Not sure what the charter for such a group would be - but
as I guess most would be re: web stuff so ??? ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@lineone.net>.
On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Paul Russell wrote:

> Is it worth someone setting up a mailing list or something for
> just bouncing [RT]s around all day? There are a lot of visionaries
> on this list (most of the commiters for a start) and it seems to
> me that these people are just the kind of people to start such
> a list. If there's a list with all these ideas archived not only
> centrally but on a couple of thousand people's inboxes, nobody
> will be able to claim patents on anything sent to the list as
> there's already clearly a prior art.

IIRC, there is a web site called shouldexist.org where this sort of this
can be discussed.  Well, that is the plan... I've never tried it so I
don't know how well it works....

Ross Burton

RE: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
I red that there is someone, somewhere, organizing an archive of
"prior art" to avoid just that. I will go back to you when I
remember the "someone" and the "somewhere".

Have fun,

Paulo Gaspar

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

AW: [C2]: Understanding mount (Testing root level mount points)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
I just updated the sitemap documentation a little bit (renamed Choosers and Filters)
and added the "raw" mails.
Next week I have more time to clean up the documentation further.

Carsten

Re: AW: [C2]: Understanding mount (Testing root level mount points)

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Re: [C2]: Understanding mount (Testing root level mount points)

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Colin Britton <cb...@centervilletech.com>.
> [...]

factory="org.apache.cocoon.selection.HostSelectorFactory">
       <host name="fee" value=www.foo.com/>
   </map:selector>
  </map:selectors>

 </map:components>
<!-- =========================== Pipelines
================================= -->
 <map:pipelines>
   <map:pipeline>

   <map:select type="host">
      <map:when test="fee">
           <map:mount uri-prefix="" src="fee.xmap"/>
      </map:when>
      <map:otherwise>
           <map:mount uri-prefix="" src="foo.xmap"/>
       </map:otherwise>
    </map:select>

    </map:pipeline>
  </map:pipelines>
</map:sitemap>
<!-- end of file -->

So this is a cool way to build out a cocoon2 app/site.

rgds
CB

Re: [C2]: Understanding mount

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Colin Britton wrote:

> Can a map:mount be inside a map:select like this...

>From the sitemap.xsl logicsheet there is no limitation on where a
map:mount should be and thus are free to place it where you want.

> We have written a
> selector that matches on the host header so we can serve multiple
> domains/servers on the same cocoon instance and were just starting to look
> at sitemap structure for this.
>
> <map:match pattern="/">
>     <map:select type="host">
>         <map:when test="foo.com">
>         <map:mount uri-prefix="/" src="foo_sitemap.xmap"/>
>     </map:when>
>     <map:otherwise>
>         <map:mount uri-prefix="/" src="fee_sitemap.xmap"/>
>     </map:otherwise>
> </map:select>
> </map:match>

Well, haven't thought about replacing the root URI with different
sitemaps but I'd like you to test it and report your experience on this
list :)

> do you want me to post the selector?

Sure, why not? Send it as zip to me (and please put some javadocs into
it to document the functionality and usage of your selector)

Giacomo

Re: [C2]: Understanding mount

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
John Morrison wrote:

> My (main) sitemap doesn't reload automatically - is there something I need
> to set somewhere?

Are you sure? The sitemap regenerates as a background thread, in the
mean time you'll be served from the old one. As soon as the new sitemap
is available it will be used instead of the old one.

> I'd also like to know what is possible with the sitemap - is there any
> documents which describe what's there and what's intended in the future?

Well, indead we could have used some more docs. You'll find pieces
scattered around in the repository. The original proposal is
xdocs/draft/sitemap-working-draft.xmap and others are in the xdocs.
You'll get html version if you do a build docs (or alike)

Giacomo

[C2] sitemap

Re: AW: [C2]: Understanding mount

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Thank you, Giacomo, for the clearification.
>
> Should we add your explanation to the "sitemap-working-draft.xmap"
> and update the examples there?

What ever you like to document is *very* welcome :)

Giacomo

AW: [C2]: Understanding mount

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.

Re: [C2]: Understanding mount

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

[C2]: Understanding mount

[C2]: Possible Bug in mounting subsitemaps

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hello,

using the following mount-example from the sitemap draft:

	<map:match pattern="dist/*">
    		<map:mount uri-prefix="dist/{1}" src="dist/{1}"/>
  	</map:match>

the following source is generated:

      return sitemapManager.invoke (environment,
                         substitute(listOfLists, "dist/"),
                         substitute(listOfLists, "dist/{1}"), true);

The third argument ("substitute(listOfLists, "dist/{1}")") is the
source argument for the sitemap handler to load the new sitemap.
So if I try to load the resource "dist/hello" the sitemap
"dist/hello/sitemap.xmap" is tried to loaded. When I try to load
"dist/welcome" the sitemap "dist/welcome/sitemap.xmap" is tried
to loaded.

Is this the desired behaviour? I thought using the mount above
always tries to load the same sitemap "dist/sitemap.xmap".

Regards
Carsten Ziegeler

Open Source Group              sunShine - Lighting up e:Business
www.sundn.de                           mailto:cziegeler@sundn.de

RE: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.

Yes, I already saw Cocoon being mentioned several times in the CMS-List.

> Hmmmm, what if that frontpage is an open source project as well <hint,
> hint> ;-)

I would like to see that. There is a lot to fix on that one.
(Example: he keeps changing what he shouldn't.)

> > I really find it hard to believe that the big sharks will be able to
> > close the CMS market on proprietary standards. One reason is that the
> > credibility of most big CMSs is going trough a all time low.
>
> I agree, but, we need to be careful... something these things happen
> without even noticing...

Yes... Big Brother keeps watching for an opportunity.

Paulo

Re: [RT] Cocoon Emotional Landscapes - semantic searching

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> Hi Stefano,
>
> Cocoon sure can play a very important role there, but it has a lot to
> evolve in that direction. The problem is still the lack of easy-to-use
> visual design tools and all those bells and whistles.

Separation of concerns: I am assuming Cocoon will create the needs, thus
a market and people will fill that.

Anyway, it might be closer than you think ;-)

> Fact is, most of the web designers at my employer do not go that far
> on text-editing HTML. Dreamweaver rules there. And I guess we are not
> the only ones.

No, not the only one by far. This is what I count on: people will need
these tools so bad they will emerge almost by themselves.

> And the fact is that many really good designers in terms of graphic
> look & style are not good at all on the more technical stuff. Still,
> the look of a site is damn important and we can not waste the
> contribution of those guys.

Totally.

> Now, XSLT is hard even for many designers that know HTML well. XSLT is
> hard even for some programmers. And there is no good visual tool to
> deal with it. I am not even going to start talking about other stuff.

I am :)

> On the other hand, open standards sell. So:
>  - Maybe the big CMS sharks will start this whole "semantic" process
>    using open standards like XML, XSLT, RDF and so on;
>  - And maybe FrontPage and DreamWeaver will start doing some XSLT and
>    even some RDF in order to work together with those CMSs;
>  - And then, maybe Cocoon really spreads around because it will be a
>    powerful and free open source CMS that uses those open standards
>    too... which means that people will be able to use those future
>    versions of Dreamweaver and FrontPage to cover the "visual design"
>    need.
>
> Imagine... M$ FrontPage easing the spread of Cocoon!
> I am eager to see if that really happens.
> =;o)

Hmmmm, what if that frontpage is an open source project as well <hint,
hint> ;-)

> I really find it hard to believe that the big sharks will be able to
> close the CMS market on proprietary standards. One reason is that the
> credibility of most big CMSs is going trough a all time low.

I agree, but, we need to be careful... something these things happen
without even noticing...

> Customers will demand open standards to have a way out when something
> goes wrong. (Ok, they will be in deep sh*t anyway, but perception
> rules.)

I totally agree with this.

> So, I am optimist.
> =:o)

> Have fun,

you too :)

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Hi Stefano,

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

[C2]: Problems with Xalan2 / XPathAPI

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@sundn.de>.
Hello,

after a successful update to the latest cocoon release, we have problems with the org.apache.cocoon.xml.xpath.XPathAPI class:

A method-call XPathAPI.selectSingleNode(testFragment, "test") returns null for the following fragment:

<test>
  <a/>
</test>

"testFragment" is a DocumentFragment containing the "test"-node.

Changing the call to XPathAPI.selectSingleNode(testFragment, "*[local-nam()='test']") returns the correct node.

Is this a bug in the new Xalan2 code?

Regards
Carsten Ziegeler

Open Source Group              sunShine - Lighting up e:Business
www.sundn.de                           mailto:cziegeler@sundn.de

...this mail was scanned for viruses by mailserver...