Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by ashishb888 <as...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/30 07:25:42 UTC

Ignite swap space

I have,
    -4 nodes 2 clients & 2 severs. A & B are the clients and X & Y are the
servers.
    -32 GB RAM
    -2 data regions default & xyz
    -A & B takes 2 GB RAM each. X takes 10 GB & Y takes 15 GB but may grow
to 25 GB
    -X uses default region and Y uses xyz region

All the above nodes run on the same machine. I wanted to enable swap of node
Y for xyz region.
But at the same time I do not want node Y to eat other nodes' RAM. How to
achieve this?

BR,
Ashish

Re: Ignite swap space

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Swapping can come handy if a cluster node reaches its maximum memory
capacity and, instead of failing with an out-of-memory exception, you can
keep it alive by swapping out data before the cluster is scaled out. Once
you add a new cluster node, the data will be rebalanced and the first node
will free its memory space up.

More on swapping here: https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/swap-space

If you need persistence regardless then consider Ignite native persistence
as advised by others.

-
Denis

Re: Ignite swap space

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

I recommend using native persistence in this case.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Re: Ignite swap space

Re: Ignite swap space

Posted by Evgenii Zhuravlev <e....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

First of all, I don't think running 2 server nodes on the same physical
machine is a good idea. They will compete for resources and they will need
to support 2 internal processes(like discovery and communication), which
will have an overhead. It's better to have only one here, or have 2 smaller
machines.

As per swapping, I wouldn't recommend to use it, since it will show worse
performance than a native persistence, so, I would recommend using
persistence instead.

Evgenii