Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2012/11/20 20:24:46 UTC

[VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

I've created a release candidate (RC0) for hadoop-0.23.5 that I would like to release.

This release is a sustaining release with several important bug fixes in it.

The RC is available at: http://people.apache.org/~tgraves/hadoop-0.23.5-candidate-0/
The RC tag in svn is here: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/tags/release-0.23.5-rc0/

The maven artifacts are available via repository.apache.org.

Please try the release and vote; the vote will run for the usual 7 days.

thanks,
Tom Graves

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks Aaron, I'll definitely pull in HADOOP-7868 into 0.23.6 and if we
re-spin into 0.23.5.  I unfortunately don't have an ubuntu box to test on.

Tom

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.
- Verified signatures and digests on src and dist tarballs
- Verified src tarball builds successfully
- Successfully setup a single-node cluster and ran some simple jobs

+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 non-binding

I ran a cluster on 3 small Ubuntu VMs: 1 * namenode/resourcemanager, 2 *
datanode/nodemanager.  I ran a few MapReduce jobs, and everything worked as
expected.

--Chris

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tom.  I think the top level LICENSE.txt, NOTICE.txt, and README.txt
> and other site docs aren't in any of the SVN tag for any 0.23/2.X
> releases.  I was following direction at
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToReleasePostMavenization and it says to
> copy them from hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/*.txt and other files
> into the tar balls after creating the tag.
>
> Do you think we should change that procedure?

Yes, it would be an improvement. (But it's not a blocker for this release.)

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Jon,

Can you be more specific, is it just failing on Ubuntu or other since it
built fine for me on rhea?

Thanks,
Tom

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Jonathan Eagles <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
Blocker HDFS-4426 has been committed to 0.23 branch.

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Ian Fyfe <if...@pentaho.com>.
Hello mailing list admin,
Using the link on http://hadoop.apache.org/mailing_lists.html I've emailed general-unsubscribe@hadoop.apache.org several times attempting to unsubscribe from this mailing list, but continue to receive emails.

Could you let me, and all of the other people sending emails containing the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" how to successfully unsubscribe?

Thank you!

From: Nick Wilcox <ni...@nickwilcox.co.uk>>
Date: Monday, January 28, 2013 8:17 AM
To: "general@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>" <ge...@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

UNSUBSCRIBE

On 28 January 2013 16:07, Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>> wrote:

Thanks Jason and Suresh.  I'll respin an new rc today.

Tom

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Nick Wilcox <ni...@nickwilcox.co.uk>.
UNSUBSCRIBE

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 rc1 release

Posted by Jonathan Eagles <je...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Built native from source (Ubuntu works too!)
- Ran several hadoop native jobs on one box cluster

Jon

Posted by Siddharth Seth <se...@gmail.com>.
+1. Verified checksums and signatures. Built from source, deployed a single
node cluster and ran a couple of simple examples without problems.

Thanks
- Sid

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 ( non-binding ). Built from source and ran a few example MR jobs.

-- Hitesh

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Verified signatures and checksums
- Built from source, deployed pseudo-distributed cluster and ran some
example jobs successfully
- Deployed pseudo-distributed cluster from binary tarball and ran some
example jobs successfully

Note that during testing I discovered the web proxy server doesn't
startup successfully due to a missing directory and filed YARN-363. I'm
not considering that a blocker since the missing directory can be
created manually or the user can run the web proxy as part of the RM as
a workaround.

Jason

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Verified sigs and svn tag. Looks kosher.

+1 (binding)

Arun

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 rc1 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks to everyone for trying this release.

The vote has passed with 12 +1s (5 binding and 7 non-binding) and no -1s.

I'll push the release out today.

Tom

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding) built from the source tarball on Ubuntu and ran a pi job

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (non-binding), assuming the issue I mentioned earlier about the new
warning output is not considered a blocker.

I verified checksum and signature for hadoop-0.23.6.tar.gz.  I ran a set of
Ubuntu VMs: NN, RM, 2 * DN, 2 * NM, and 2NN.  I tested multiple HDFS
interactions and MapReduce jobs.  Everything worked as expected.  The only
potential problem I noticed was that new warning output.

Thanks,
--Chris

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 (binding)

I downloaded the image and ran a few simple jobs.

--Bobby

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Jason Lowe <jl...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Daryn Sharp <da...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 Builds and runs ok for me.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks Sid, sounds like I'll have to resin so I will make sure to clean up
those files.

Tom

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Siddharth Seth <se...@gmail.com>.
+1.
Verified checksums.

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.

[VOTE] hadoop 0.23.6 release

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I brought up a cluster and ran some simple jobs.  Everything passed. +1

Re: [VOTE] hadoop 0.23.5 release

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Thanks to everyone for trying this release.

The vote has passed with 6 +1s (4 binding and 2 non-binding) and no -1s.