Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by newBea <va...@vizualize.com> on 2008/02/13 09:01:06 UTC

solr to work for my web application

hi

I am new to solr/lucene...I have installed solr nightly version..its working
very fine.

But it is working for the exampledocs present in the example folder of the
nightly version of solr. I need solr to work for my web application...

Help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Re: solr to work for my web application

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.
"Alternatively you can run
solr in the same tomcat as you application."

This is the thing I am still searching. However starting solr by using
tomcat I am not getting proper steps to follow...when I start tomcat console
looks like:

Feb 14, 2008 11:02:19 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:19 AM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol init
INFO: Initializing Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:19 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 921 ms
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
INFO: Starting service Catalina
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.23
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:20 AM org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet init
INFO: SolrServlet.init()
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:20 AM org.apache.solr.core.Config setInstanceDir
INFO: Solr home set to 'D:/Projects/csdb/solr/'
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:20 AM org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet init
INFO: user.dir=C:\3.2\eclipse
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:20 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrConfig initConfig
INFO: Loaded SolrConfig: solrconfig.xml
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers <init>
INFO: adding requestHandler standard=solr.StandardRequestHandler
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers <init>
INFO: adding requestHandler dismax=solr.DisMaxRequestHandler
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers <init>
INFO: adding requestHandler partitioned=solr.DisMaxRequestHandler
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers <init>
INFO: adding requestHandler instock=solr.DisMaxRequestHandler
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore <init>
INFO: Opening new SolrCore at D:/Projects/csdb/solr/, dataDir=C:/solr/data
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema readConfig
INFO: Reading Solr Schema
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema readConfig
INFO: Schema name=csdb
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema readConfig
INFO: default search field is text
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema readConfig
INFO: query parser default operator is OR
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema readConfig
INFO: unique key field: csid
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore parseListener
INFO: Searching for listeners: //listener[@event="firstSearcher"]
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore parseListener
INFO: Searching for listeners: //listener[@event="newSearcher"]
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore parseListener
INFO: added SolrEventListener:
org.apache.solr.core.QuerySenderListener{queries=[{q=solr,start=0,rows=10}]}
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore initWriters
INFO: adding queryResponseWriter
xslt=org.apache.solr.request.XSLTResponseWriter
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.request.XSLTResponseWriter init
INFO: xsltCacheLifetimeSeconds=5
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher <init>
INFO: Opening Searcher@1e21f52 main
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore registerSearcher
INFO: Registered new searcher Searcher@1e21f52 main
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2$CommitTracker <init>
INFO: autocommit if docs >= 10000
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrServlet init
INFO: SolrServlet.init() done
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrUpdateServlet init
INFO: SolrUpdateServlet.init() done
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:21 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: org.apache.webapp.balancer.BalancerFilter: init(): ruleChain:
[org.apache.webapp.balancer.RuleChain:
[org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.URLStringMatchRule: Target string: News /
Redirect URL: http://www.cnn.com],
[org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.RequestParameterRule: Target param name:
paramName / Target param value: paramValue / Redirect URL:
http://www.yahoo.com],
[org.apache.webapp.balancer.rules.AcceptEverythingRule: Redirect URL:
http://jakarta.apache.org]]
[csdb] INFO [main] [/csdb].log(647) | Loading Spring root
WebApplicationContext
SearchIndexer Initialized as : http://localhost:8983/solr/update
AbandonedObjectPool is used
(org.apache.commons.dbcp.AbandonedObjectPool@1144026)
   LogAbandoned: false
   RemoveAbandoned: true
   RemoveAbandonedTimeout: 60
[csdb] INFO [main] SimpleThreadPool.initialize(258) | Job execution threads
will use class loader of thread: main
[csdb] INFO [main] QuartzScheduler.<init>(209) | Quartz Scheduler v.1.6.0
created.
[csdb] INFO [main] RAMJobStore.initialize(141) | RAMJobStore initialized.
[csdb] INFO [main] StdSchedulerFactory.instantiate(1208) | Quartz scheduler
'DefaultQuartzScheduler' initialized from default resource file in Quartz
package: 'quartz.properties'
[csdb] INFO [main] StdSchedulerFactory.instantiate(1212) | Quartz scheduler
version: 1.6.0
[csdb] INFO [main] QuartzScheduler.setJobFactory(2065) | JobFactory set to:
org.springframework.scheduling.quartz.AdaptableJobFactory@108e435
[csdb] INFO [main] QuartzScheduler.start(455) | Scheduler
DefaultQuartzScheduler_$_NON_CLUSTERED started.
Hibernate: select role0_.RoleID as RoleID10_, role0_.Name as Name10_,
role0_.Description as Descript3_10_, role0_.Active as Active10_ from role
role0_ order by role0_.Name
[csdb] INFO [main] LocaleFilter.init(152) | Initializing filter
'localeFilter'
[csdb] INFO [main] LocaleFilter.init(177) | Filter 'localeFilter' configured
successfully
[csdb] INFO [main] GZIPFilter.init(152) | Initializing filter
'compressionFilter'
[csdb] INFO [main] GZIPFilter.init(177) | Filter 'compressionFilter'
configured successfully
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:35 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:35 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:36 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:36 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:36 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:36 AM org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol start
INFO: Starting Coyote AJP/1.3 on ajp-8009
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:36 AM org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader load
INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
Feb 14, 2008 11:02:36 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 16437 ms

I think something is missing in the INFO: statements above...may be JNDI is
not set

I have followed all the steps given on the solr wiki sites.

Like I have added solr.xml file in Tomcat 5.5\conf\Catalina\localhost n
specified the home for solr. Content looks like:

<Context docBase="C:/solr.war" debug="0" crossContext="true" >
   <Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value="D:/Projects/csdb/solr" override="true" />
</Context>

Please tell me if anything missing...

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.
Hey Thorsten, I need to know one more thing...currently solr is getting up
and running on port 8080. What my understanding is whichever port my tomcat
is running, solr is running on the same. I mean if tomcat is down, solr is
down and vice versa.

My requirement is I need solr to run on port 80 and also this should be up
and running through tomcat configuration for solr. I am searching for this
requirement, please let me know if you have any clues.

Thanks in advance...

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 04:11 -0800, newBea wrote:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> Many thanks for ur replies so far...finally i set up correct environment for
> Solr. Its working:clap:

:)

Congrats, glad you got it running.

> Solr Rocks!

Indeed. :)

salu2

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.
Hi Thorsten,

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.
Hi Thorsten...

SOrry for giving u much trouble but I need some answer regarding solr...plz
help...

Question1
I am using tomcat 5.5.23 so for JNDI setup of solr, adding solr.xml with
context fragment as below in the tomcat5.5/...catalina/localhost.

<Context docBase="C:/solr.war" debug="0" crossContext="true" >
   <Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value="D:/Projects/csdb/solr" override="true" />
</Context>

Is it the correct way of doing it? Or do I need to add context fragment in
the server.xml of tomcat5.5?

Question2
I am starting solr server using start.jar from another location on C:
drive...whereas my home location indicated on D: drive. Is it the root coz I
am not getting the search result?

Question3
I have added parameter as <dataDir>C:\solr\data</dataDir> in
solrconfig.xml...but the indexes are not getting stored there...indexes for

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.
My eclipse IDE still gives me suggestion that JNDI is not set properly...How
to set JNDI for solr?

I am using tomcat5.5.23 and added solr.xml with context fragments inside the
tomact5.5/../catalina/localhost. Is it the correct way of doing it? Or do i
need to add context fragment in the server.xml file in conf dir of tomcat?

It is easy to start server using jetty externally, however I want solr to be
up and running through tomcat, is it possible? If yes please tell me the
helpful resources or any suggestions from your side...

Thanks in advance...

Posted by Fuad Efendi <fu...@efendi.ca>.

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.
Hey hi...

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.
I havnt used luke.xsl. Ya but the link provided by u gives me "Solr Luke
Request Handler Response"...

<uniquekey> is simple string as: csid

till now I am updating docs thru command prompt as : post.jar *.xml
http://localhost:8983/update

I am not clear on how do I post xml docs or wud xml docs be posted while I
request solr thru tomcat at the time of searching text...

This manually procedure when I update the xml docs on exampledocs folder
inside distribution package restrict it to exampledocs itself...I am not

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
I strongly recommend that you switch from the latest nightly build to the
Solr 1.2 release.

Lance

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.

Posted by newBea <va...@vizualize.com>.