Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark <st...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/23 01:45:07 UTC

Question on replication

After I perform a delta-import on my master the slave replicates the
whole index which can be quite time consuming. Is there any way for the
slave to replicate only partials that have changed? Do I need to change
some setting on master not to commit/optimize to get this to work?

Thanks

Re: Question on replication

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 11/22/2010 5:45 PM, Mark wrote:
> After I perform a delta-import on my master the slave replicates the
> whole index which can be quite time consuming. Is there any way for
> the slave to replicate only partials that have changed? Do I need to
> change some setting on master not to commit/optimize to get this to work?

Anytime you optimize the index, whether it's done separately or as part
of an import, the slave will have to copy the entire index, because the
entire index will have changed.

If you include &optimize=false on your delta-import URL, it should do
exactly as you are expecting.  If you are doing a lot of delta-imports,
you'll eventually start auto-merging segments according to the value
specified in mergeFactor, which will still be faster than a full optimize.

You normally don't have to do optimizes at all unless you are deleting
documents, or updating documents in place, which deletes the old one
before inserting the new one.  If you are not relying on relevancy sort,
you don't even need to do it then, unless the index size begins to get
out of control.

Shawn