Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Simon Kitching <si...@chello.at> on 2007/12/15 21:13:52 UTC

site restructure

Ok, I've been fiddling with the myfaces site for a bit, in order to clarify JSF1.1 vs JSF1.2 support.

Every page in the "docs" section, except the wiki link needs a different version for the two JSF versions. Reading the 1.1 version would be really confusing for someone intending to use 1.2.

And many (but not all) of the subprojects need a different home page for the different versions.

Here's a possible restructure of the home page:
  http://people.apache.org/~skitching/myfaces-site/

Most of the links don't currently work; the distributionManagement section of the poms in the 1.1 and 1.2 branches would just need to be updated to match, then new sites for them pushed out.

And of course the documentation pages (esp the ones in the JSF12 sections) would need to be updated. But that needs the restructure to happen first.

Comments? Better ideas?

Note that AFAIK there is no way for a menu on the left navbar to have a "submenu".

Regards,

Simon

Re: site restructure

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 15, 2007 1:13 PM, Simon Kitching <si...@chello.at> wrote:

> Note that AFAIK there is no way for a menu on the left navbar to have a "submenu".

There's an example of sub-menus on the Continuum site.  Is this what you want?
http://maven.apache.org/continuum/documentation/1_1/administrator_guides/security/ldap.html

Here's the site.xml for it.  It looks like you just keep nesting
<item> elements, and each menu can either be collapsed, or not.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/continuum/trunk/continuum-site/src/site/site.xml

--
Wendy

Re: site restructure

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
Hi All,

Just for people's info, I have worked a bit more on what Manfred started
with the site.

At the moment, the core 1.1.x stuff is deployed at
  myfaces.apache.org/api
and
  myfaces.apache.org/impl

Manfred changed things so that the "core/trunk" site now deploys to
  myfaces.apache.org/core11
and "core/trunk_1_2_x" deploys to
  myfaces.apache.org/core12

I have updated these sites, and actually deployed them to the main
apache server. They are not visible to most people because the "home"
page still links to /api and /impl, but you can see them here:
   http://myfaces.apache.org/core11/index.html
   http://myfaces.apache.org/core12/index.html

As you can see, they are not quite perfect yet. For some reason, there
is no collapsed toggle on the "core12" option of the "core11" page.  And
the core12 page has picked up a different "skin" from somewhere. But I
hope to get that cleaned up soon.

Then if people think it is ok we can publish a new "home" page that
links to these new versions.

Note that at the moment the site.xml is essentially copy-and-pasted into
core/trunk, core/trunk_1_2_x, and would need to go into tomahawk, etc.
too. It would be nice to be able to just inherit these definitions from
somewhere rather than copy-and-paste but this appears to be a limitation
of Maven. While a project can inherit a POM from anywhere (the poms are
all in the registry just waiting to be referenced), site settings can
only be inherited by invoking a build in a directory and having that
build pass the settings down to its submodules. Running a site build in
a subdirectory doesn't work as the settings are not inherited. But we
cannot rebuild the whole myfaces site every time some subproject wants
to update its webpages. Well, at least that's how I understand things at
the moment.

I'm not claiming this is perfect, but I think it is better than what was
there before. Slow steps...

By the way, the myfaces core 1.2 pom has some funky profile called
"generate-site" that AFAICT is trying to build a report that contains
pretty TLD documentation for the components. That would be great to
have, but I cannot get it to work. Could someone who knows about that
please document it (eg add comments to the pom.xml) or at least email
instructions on how to make it work?

Cheers,

Simon

Re: site restructure