Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by meisam4910 <me...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/05 14:43:04 UTC

Re: Family Tree web app problem with image map using Tapestry 4..

Hi,

I need to build a family tree maker based on web application using java,
would you help me and tell me the steps please ? I really appreciate if you
would help me to kick start this application.

Posted by Alex Tian <al...@hotmail.com>.
I can hardly say it's just for fun...
put it short:
from the technical point of view, it demonstrates several things:
complex drawing algorithms to construct the family tree graph and a number
of advanced JSP/html techniques
from the business point of view, one could use it as the core system for
related business... the web site i recommended is a good example.

Dear Alex

I just did not understand the  goal and objective of the family tree web
application ? is it only for fun ?

Speaking honestly, it's a tough one to do(though it's a really revolutionary
great topic), especially for undergraduates,
but one the other side, you might have more time than i had...
It took me 2 months to do it using a number of advanced java web
technologies and it was for my M.Sc. final project given 3-month time
constraint.

first thing I would suggest is do a google search on existing related web
apps
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk is a good example...
i just visited their web site 5 mins ago and found out that they ve got a
lot of things updated since my last visit which was over a year ago...

no better starting-point than a good backgound research...
then if u r still interested in it and would like to challenge it,
come back and i ll give u some more in-depth observations about that
project...

all i can say now is it is doable even in pure JSP, because more advanced
java framework makes things far more complex while providing better services
at the same time...

Posted by meisam4910 <me...@gmail.com>.
Dear alex

I checked the web site and also other examples, I know the details almot, if
I want to start building it, what should i do alex ?thanks, you just give me
the clue and keywords, if i were not successful I will back to you if you
dun mind of course.

Posted by meisam4910 <me...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Tian <al...@hotmail.com>.