Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Rory O'Donnell <ro...@oracle.com> on 2018/05/08 08:17:29 UTC

JDK 11 Early Access build 12 available

   Hi Robert ,

**JDK 11 EA build 12 , *****under both the GPL and Oracle EA licenses,
is now available at **http://jdk.java.net/11**. **
*

  * Newly approved Schedule, status & features
      o http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/11/
  * Release Notes:
      o http://jdk.java.net/11/release-notes
  * Summary of changes
      o https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk11/12/jdk-11+12.html

*Notable changes in JDK 11 EA builds since last email:*

  * Build 11 - see Release Notes for details.
      o JDK-8201315 : SelectableChannel.register may be invoked while a
        selection operation is in progress
  * Build 10 - see Release Notes for details.
      o JDK-8200149 : Removal of "com.sun.awt.AWTUtilities" class
      o JDK-8189997 (not public) :  Enhanced KeyStore Mechanisms
      o JDK-8175075 (not public) : 3DES Cipher Suites Disabled
  * Build 9: - see Release Notes for details.
      o JDK-8200152 : KerberosString uses UTF-8 encoding by default
      o JDK-8200458 : Readiness information previously recorded in
        SelectionKey ready set not preserved

**

*Draft JEP: Deprecate pack200, unpack200 tools and related APIs. [1]
*
This draft JEP [2] proposes to deprecate the pack200 APIs and tools in
the JDK. As outlined in the JEP, the usefulness of this technology
have diminishing returns, the components using them are being removed
and connectivity speeds have improved by leaps and bounds,
since its inception.  Feedback appreciated via
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev

Regards,
Rory

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2018-April/001074.html

Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager
Oracle EMEA, Dublin,Ireland

Re: JDK 11 Early Access build 12 available

Posted by dalibor topic <da...@oracle.com>.

On 09.05.2018 23:35, Tibor Digana wrote:
 > I still do not have the answer regarding language features.

Apologies for that - your email about language features didn't contain
any question marks, so it seemed to be just a statement of your
opinions. Since opinions are not questions, I didn't consider that you
were looking for a reply.

> Why Oracle
> did not implement more language improvements after Java 1.8?

Firstly, there was the introduction of the module system, which was the
major Java programming language improvement in Java SE 9. Please see
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se9/html/jls-7.html#jls-7.7 for
details.  In addition, Java SE 9 contained some smaller language
improvements, as described at
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/language/toc.htm#JSLAN-GUID-B06D7006-D9F4-42F8-AD21-BF861747EDCF
.

Secondly, Java SE 10 introduced local variable type inference, another
language improvement as described at
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/language/toc.htm#JSLAN-GUID-7D5FDD65-ACE4-4B3C-80F4-CC01CBD211A4
.

For Java SE 11, it's planned to refine that feature further as discussed
at http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/323 .

Further ideas for Java programming language improvements are being
explored in Project Amber (see http://openjdk.java.net/projects/amber/
for details) for smaller changes, and Project Valhalla (see
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/valhalla/ for details) for larger ones,
like value types.

> For instance value objects. Is this in 9, 10 or 11? I could not find it.

Assuming you mean value types, they are not targetted for any release
yet, as they are still being explored in Project Valhalla.

> What about descriptive language and features? Is it possible in Java?

Assuming you mean data classes, as in
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~briangoetz/amber/datum.html , they are being
explored in Project Amber. They are not targetted for any release yet,
either.

If you're interested in following (or contributing to) the development
of Project Amber and Project Valhalla, details of the features being
explores, code, etc. I would suggest subscribing to their mailing lists,
as linked off the respective web pages above.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961
<tel:+491737185961>

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Value Objects are JEP 169 and part of Project Valhalla, there are quite a few projects coming at/after 11 (in the fast release model).

We already got local var types, lambda leftovers, (shadowing and underscore) and there are plans for switch expressions, pattern matching, generic enums and string literals. The language really is on the go. (Despite this being very complex)

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/amber/

And I am totally offtopic, sorry. I would recommend to check out the language architecture talks in the Oracle Code series.

Gruss
Bernd

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net
________________________________
Thx Dalibor, I will try with -XX:-ShrinkHeapInSteps.
I still do not have the answer regarding language features. Why Oracle did

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by dalibor topic <da...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
In our company we are still thinking of adding some kind of Multitenancy,
but the problem is that Java EE is not designed for multitenancy.
The reason and problem why multitenancy is the fact that Java Heap
allocates more memory than active objects actually use.
When you have a lot of Microservices == JVMs then maybe 40% of native
memory is unused.

Is there any JVM which "shrinks" at least shrinks the native memory
consumption so that the Java Heap is cca == Native Consumption at most of
the time?
If this is not possible then something else would be possible in Oracle's
JVM and it is the ability to have one "macro process". This means if you
run an application "java -jar *.jar" then still every such app will share
common heap/sandbox with every other, but the memory inside would be well
isolated. Then the Unused native memory would be better dynamically shared
by Microservices. The fact is that not all Microservices would need to have
reserved unused memory permanently and not all would need to allocate it
only because of a short memory increase during e.g. one second.

Cheers
Tibor

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Rory,

Posted by dalibor topic <da...@oracle.com>.
Hi Tibor,

this issue was fixed meanwhile in Bytebuddy/Mockito. Please see
https://github.com/raphw/byte-buddy/issues/428 for details.

cheers,
dalibor topic

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.