Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID> on 2021/03/10 01:52:53 UTC

Netbeans 12.2 open file leak (macOS)

Greetings,

I've mentioned earlier in one of the Netbeans mailing lists about Netbeans
12.2 freezing. Well, it throws up an annoying series of modal windows each of
which states that we have a java.io.FileNotFoundException with a message
giving me the name of the file with the additional text of "(too many open
files)".

This also vomits out a org.openide.filesystems.FileAlreadyLockedException
exception as well.

When Netbeans freezes up like that, you cannot attach jconsole to that
process.

Since Netbeans was acting up recently (as in I couldn't run for 15 minutes
without such a freeze), I immediately ran jconsole to monitor what was going
on when I launched Netbeans.

According to my jconsole MBeans window, in the
java.lang.OperatingSystem.OpenFileDescriptorCount attribute, I had over 12K
open file descriptors.  (12529 appears to be the last value I have been able
to get.)

That tells me that somewhere in the delta between Netbeans 12.1 (where I NEVER
saw this problem) and Netbeans 12.2 (where I am playing Russian roulette with
my productivity by using it at work) someone is not closing a file after using
it and assuming that the finalizer will close it for them.

That would be a very bad assumption, independent of the OS.

As it so happens, my work machine's Netbeans 12.2 instance just locked up
while I was writing this.

Said work machine is running macOS 11.2.2 and Netbeans is running OpenJDK 64-
bit Server VM version 15+36-1562.

(Actually, my work machine locked up twice while writing this on my non-work
machine [which is not, and never will be, a Mac].)

--
Mark A. Flacy
mflacy@verizon.net

Re: Netbeans 12.2 open file leak (macOS)

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
Oh my, I'm not sure you would be able to know how happy that makes me.

--
Mark A. Flacy
mflacy@verizon.net

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.