Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com> on 2016/01/13 11:38:34 UTC

MS VS 2010 for platforms

Hi Igniters

I found that build of platforms (both .Ner and C++) requires Visual Studio
2010 Professional.
Could someone explain:
 - Why we do not suggest to use Visual Studio Community?
 - VS 2010 seems a bit outdated.What's about VS 2015?

--
Sergey Kozlov

Re: MS VS 2010 for platforms

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
I would say that it is good that we cannot use 6.0 features even if we want
so. Otherwise users with earlier versions will not be able to build the
product from sources.
13 янв. 2016 г. 14:01 пользователь "Pavel Tupitsyn" <pt...@gridgain.com>

Re: MS VS 2010 for platforms

Posted by Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com>.
Thanks for explanations!

--
Sergey Kozlov
GridGain Systems

Re: MS VS 2010 for platforms

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Sergey,

You can build C++/.NET with any VS (2010+), you just have to click "upgrade
VC++ compilers" on C++ projects. I use VS2015 Community, everything works
just fine.

Why do we support .NET 4 / VS2010? The lower the better. Some companies
have weird software policies, so we have wider audience this way.
.NET 4.5 does not offer any changes that are important for us.

Another thing is C# version. You can use C# 6 with .NET 4, but, because we
support VS2010, we have to stick to C# 4.
This is unfortunate, because C# 6 does offer many nice improvements.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com> wrote:

> Hi Igniters
>
> I found that build of platforms (both .Ner and C++) requires Visual Studio
> 2010 Professional.
> Could someone explain:
>  - Why we do not suggest to use Visual Studio Community?
>  - VS 2010 seems a bit outdated.What's about VS 2015?
>

> --
> Sergey Kozlov

Pavel Tupitsyn
GridGain Systems, Inc.