Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bernhard Slominski <be...@zooplus.com> on 2005/11/03 16:10:41 UTC

Shale timeline

Hi,

does anyone know when the first release 1.0 of struts shale is expected?
Are there any other milestone dates like alpha, beta versions?

Thanks

Bernhard

Re: Shale timeline

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/3/05, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
<snip/>
> the dev list) on a grade. That being said, I would *not* assume 1.0.0 would
> be anything other than an alpha. This is not necessarily an issue about
> quality, it's more about API stability. I don't want to lock down quite
> everything yet, until people have had a chance to try things out.
<snap/>

I know we've spent few cycles deciding names/version numbers recently,
so I'm not going to dwell on this beyond this email, but given the
above, would you consider a 0.1.0 (or 0.5.0) first release?

That, atleast in my mind, is more along the lines of your statement
above and conveys "not wanting to lock down just yet" very well. I'd
like to see a Shale release too, don't get me otherwise.

-Rahul

Re: Shale timeline

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 11/3/05, Bernhard Slominski <be...@zooplus.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone know when the first release 1.0 of struts shale is expected?
> Are there any other milestone dates like alpha, beta versions?

As far as I'm concerned, the feature work I wanted to see for a
1.0.0release is complete -- it's primarily a matter of being
in-country long
enough to go through the release process. I've also got some
back-of-the-envelope roadmap notes that I need to put up on the wiki talking
about future feature directions.

As far as releases themselves go, the thinking is to use the same release
model that Struts 1.x (and other projects like Tomcat) do ... an
x.y.zrelease that is not pre-graded with a quality moniker (alpha,
beta, general
release), followed by a chance to get feedback and retroactively vote (on
the dev list) on a grade. That being said, I would *not* assume 1.0.0 would
be anything other than an alpha. This is not necessarily an issue about
quality, it's more about API stability. I don't want to lock down quite
everything yet, until people have had a chance to try things out.

That being said, one habit I want to follow in Shale is provide feedback to
developers on what expectations they *should* have about API stability in
individual packages. This information is summarized in the Package Overview
page for the core library:

http://people.apache.org/~craigmcc/shale-core-javadocs/overview-summary.html

Along with an indication of whether the functionality in that package is
targeted at application developers, or at people who want to extend the
framework itself.

Thanks

> Bernhard

Craig