Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2005/12/15 21:50:25 UTC

Re: Standard Implementation-Vendor-Id

In message <11...@knossos.elmet>, robert burrell donkin write
s:
>i've done some hunting round and it appears that now this really should
>be set: implementation-vendor-id is used by later versions of the
>extension mechanism and it no longer works unless it is set. see
>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html.

Yep, it looks like that's why they needed it.  This is the additonal
explanation I got today via bugzilla:

 "... actually, we need this (in my company) to specify dependencies in to
  oro in our apps with the Extension-List mechanism. For instance Tomcat
  does not consider that a dependency is resolved if the "extension" we
  depend on does not specify this entry."

After looking at the previous JDK docs, it appears this requirement was
introduced in J2SE 1.3.

>the org.apache looks about right and it'd be great if you could update
>the documentation :)

Okay, I took care of it.  Thanks for the guidance.

daniel