Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2006/09/13 19:58:06 UTC

jira report question

In compiling the release notes, I need to process the xml output of a
multi-page jira report. When I select the XML output option, I get a
page of xml output for the first page of the report. This is true
regardless of which page of the report I have selected: I only get the
xml output for the very first page. Can anyone help me figure out the
following:

o How to get the xml output for all pages of the report OR
o How to get the xml output for a page other than the first page

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: jira report question

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 9/13/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>

>> Thanks, Andrew. Can you explain some more about what the above url
>> represents?
>

> It's all issues marked Resolved and/or Closed with a Fix In of
> 10.2.1.0. You can navigate to that page by clicking the 'Release
> Notes' button on the front page and then choosing the appropriate
> options on the next page.
>
> Since the release page is HTML, it's convenient to use the HTML
> JIRA-generated release notes to make the section on the Derby release
> page with the list of JIRA issues fixed, as the resulting HTML needs
> minimal rework to insert into the release notes page.
>
>> I need to prune out a lot of these issues:
>>
>> o Some of them are internal issues which end-users don't need to see.
>> E.g., code cleanup.
>

> Just remove the corresponding lines from the JIRA generated release
> notes. If you're searching for brevity, looking at the JIRA generated
> page, all of the miscellaneous JDBC4 'new features', of which there
> look to be about 16, could be removed and only   "[DERBY-587] -
> Providing JDBC 4.0 support for derby" left in the release notes.
>
> I don't include the Task or Test sections.

This approach would work fine if I were generating Release Notes the old
way: as a follow-on job after actually vetting the release. However, we
have decided that we want to bundle Release Notes with the release
candidates themselves. That means I have to amend this list each time I
build a release candidate. I was looking for a solution which would make
it easy to sweep up the incremental slug of bug fixes which go into
successive candidates.

>> o Some of them were also fixed in 10.1.3.1 so we don't want to see them
>

> If they really shouldn't be marked Fix In 10.2.1.0, it is better to
> update the Fix In for the issue to not have 10.2.1.0 as one of the Fix
> In versions so the data in JIRA is correct. Then just regenerate the
> JIRA release notes.

Ah dear. There seems to be some controversy about the contents of that
field. I'm reluctant to touch it until we reach consensus about its meaning.

Re: Re: jira report question

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: jira report question

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On 9/13/06, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> In compiling the release notes, I need to process the xml output of a
>> multi-page jira report. When I select the XML output option, I get a
>> page of xml output for the first page of the report. This is true
>> regardless of which page of the report I have selected: I only get the
>> xml output for the very first page. Can anyone help me figure out the
>> following:
>>
>> o How to get the xml output for all pages of the report OR
>> o How to get the xml output for a page other than the first page
>

> Just curious, is this for some other sort of processing that JIRA's
> HTML release notes report does not cover:
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=11187&styleName=Html&projectId=10594&Create=Create

Thanks, Andrew. Can you explain some more about what the above url
represents? At first blush, it looks like a filter url. I'm having
trouble coming up with a filter which describes the bug fixes which need
to go into the Release Notes. I have a filter (I circulated it yesterday
I think) which finds all resolved/closed issues from a number of
components  marked as "fix in 10.2":
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311199.
This is great except that it gives me 373 issues. I need to prune out a
lot of these issues:

o Some of them are internal issues which end-users don't need to see.
E.g., code cleanup.
o Some of them were also fixed in 10.1.3.1 so we don't want to see them

How did you solve this problem for earlier releases?

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: jira report question

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.