Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Tarik Cherkaoui <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/21 23:16:57 UTC

Trying out the ROP tutorial but stuck on Maven

Hi,

I'm trying out Cayenne to use on a project and I got the persistence API to
run fine, but ROP is giving me some headache.  I am using version 3.0 of
Cayenne, and when I try to run maven, it complains about missing
dependencies that cannot be found in any of the repositories.  I am using
the latest maven (2.0.7).  I am not super familiar with Maven.  I feel like
I am missing something basic.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Tarik

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin

Reason: POM 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin' not found in
repo
sitory: Unable to download the artifact from any repository

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin:pom:2.0-ALPHA-1-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  mergere (http://repo.mergere.com/maven2),
  apache-snapshot-repo (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository
),
  apache-snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/),
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
 for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-dependency-plugin

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 2 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Sun Oct 21 17:12:37 EDT 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 5M/9M
[INFO]

Re: Trying out the ROP tutorial but stuck on Maven

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 24, 2007, at 6:13 AM, Tarik Cherkaoui wrote:

> Yeah, the maven-jetty-pluggin is no longer supported by maven based
> on their
> deprecation warning: http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/jetty/

This is unrelated (and also Maven1). The plugin you are using is
provided by the Jetty team, not the Maven team, it is Maven2 and to
the best of my knowledge it is fully supported.

Andrus

Re: Trying out the ROP tutorial but stuck on Maven

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Actually you do not have to use Maven at all. I suggest you use 2.0
ROP tutorial based on JettyLauncher:

http://cayenne.apache.org/doc20/remote-object-persistence-quick-
start.html

(and while we are working on testing and fixing the 3.0 tutorial, I
guess we need to change the link on the web site to point to 2.0. It
is too much to ask the new users to use unstable code and based on
maven)

> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jetty-plugin'
> does not
> exist o
> r no valid version could be found
> [INFO]

Not sure if we put that in the docs somewhere (if we did, this is our
mistake), but I just realized that you are using the wrong plugin.
Here is the right Group and Artifact for the Jetty plugin:

         <groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
         <artifactId>maven-jetty-plugin</artifactId>

But as I said above, you are better off not using Maven at all.

Andrus

Re: Trying out the ROP tutorial but stuck on Maven

Posted by Tarik Cherkaoui <ch...@gmail.com>.
FYI, here is the build error now thrown when attempting to start jetty with
maven:

C:\dev\quick-start-rop>mvn jetty:run-war
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Cayenne ROP Tutorial Parent
[INFO]   Cayenne ROP Client Tutorial
[INFO]   Cayenne ROP Server Tutorial
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jetty'.
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jetty-plugin: checking for
update
s from mergere
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jetty-plugin: checking for
update
s from central
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jetty-plugin' does not
exist o
r no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Oct 23 22:59:45 EDT 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 2M/4M
[INFO]

Posted by Tarik Cherkaoui <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tarik Cherkaoui <ch...@gmail.com>.