Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/15 20:08:07 UTC

Hive handling of ingested data when source column changes size or new column added

Assuming we are ingesting into Hive table from an RDBMS Oracle table.

This is done through a daily mechanism.

My conclusion is this.

   1. The source column has moved from VARCHA2(50) to CARCHAR2(100). As I
   know this should not matter in Hive as every VARCHAR is stored as String in
   Hive. So moving from VARCHAR2(50) to VARCHAR2(100) at source with Hive
   column defined as Varchar(50) would not matter? Data will be ingested OK
   2. How about NUMERIC columns or DECIMAL columns at source. Will they
   have to be modified in Hive?

Also if we add another column to source table, then there is no other way
than adding that column to Hive. Also the existing Hive partitions will
stay as before but new partitions will have space reserved for additional
columns.

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com