Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Benjamin Scherrey <sc...@proteus-tech.com> on 2006/07/09 12:08:19 UTC

Federated repositories?

   I'm guessing that this is not supported by Subversion presently but
I'm asking in hopes that I'm either wrong or that others might be
interested in similar functionality. We have a dispersed development
group (literally on opposite sides of the world, NY & Bangkok). Our svn
repository is hosted in the states and our bandwidth between offices is
ok but has fairly high latency which makes merges and large operations
take quite a long time for the BKK group.

    What I'd like to be able to do is have an additional copy of the svn
repository hosted locally for BKK and synchronized with NY. Obviously
commits need to be atomic but, because of the work hour differences it
will be rare for users at one location to perform commits at the same
time as users in another location. Outside of major commits, things like
merges into local working copies and creation of new branches should go
much faster. Is this something that can reasonably be done with subversion?

    thanx,

       Ben Scherrey

Re: Federated repositories?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 9, 2006, at 14:08, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:

>    I'm guessing that this is not supported by Subversion presently
> but I'm asking in hopes that I'm either wrong or that others might
> be interested in similar functionality. We have a dispersed
> development group (literally on opposite sides of the world, NY &
> Bangkok). Our svn repository is hosted in the states and our
> bandwidth between offices is ok but has fairly high latency which
> makes merges and large operations take quite a long time for the
> BKK group.
>
>    What I'd like to be able to do is have an additional copy of the
> svn repository hosted locally for BKK and synchronized with NY.
> Obviously commits need to be atomic but, because of the work hour
> differences it will be rare for users at one location to perform
> commits at the same time as users in another location. Outside of
> major commits, things like merges into local working copies and
> creation of new branches should go much faster. Is this something
> that can reasonably be done with subversion?

I think you may want to look inte SVK, which is built on Subversion:

http://svk.elixus.org/