Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Mohit Chawla <mo...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/22 10:14:08 UTC

Pinning clients to specific brokers

Hi folks,

Is it possible to pin kafka clients to use only specific brokers throughout
their lifetime and not just for the initial bootstrapping ?

Thanks,
Mohit

Re: Pinning clients to specific brokers

Posted by Mohit Chawla <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephen, Hans,

This can help in keeping the traffic isolated in an availability zone, and
avoid inter AZ communication.

Thanks,
Mohit

Posted by Hans Jespersen <ha...@confluent.io>.
We (Confluent) run Kafka as a SaaS-based cloud offering and we do not see any reason for this feature so I just don’t understand the motivation for it. Please explain.

-hans

--
/**
 * Hans Jespersen, Principal Systems Engineer, Confluent Inc.
 * hans@confluent.io (650)924-2670
 */

Posted by Stephen Durfey <sj...@gmail.com>.
Mohit,

Can you describe your use case around why you want this to happen?

Thanks

I agree with Hans, and additionally you may have trouble when the cluster needs to rebalance its partitions or when partition leadership changes node.

Also you may loose high-availability and cluster resilience in case of fail-over.

Cheers
João Reis

For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com<http://www.symanteccloud.com/>

Re: Pinning clients to specific brokers