Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by "Dan K." <da...@YorkU.CA> on 2002/04/06 01:29:48 UTC

intake's mapTo usage?

Hi,

I've read up the intake-service documentation but it's quite confusing and
the mail archive doesn't really address my newbie intake question:

How does one use the "mapTo" feature of intake to map form data to
business objects (manually created, not by torque)?  Here are the steps
I think I need to get it done so far...

In the intake.xml file:
- there must be a group tag with the "name", "key", and "mapToObject"
attribute set, similar to:
<group name="MyGroup" key="MyGroupKey" mapToObject="MyBusinessObject">

- the mapToObject="MyBusinessObject" has a corresponding
MyBusinessObject.java with appropriate get/set methods for the attributes
in question. Is this right?

- add in some fields to the group (with their rules), similar to:
    <field name="Username" key="Username" type="String">
        <rule name="required" value="true">Username is required</rule>
        ...some more rules if desired...
    </field>

In the corresponding "Action" class:
- get an instance of the intake object from the context, and set the
business object with the corresponding group field values from intake,
similar to:
    IntakeTool intake = (IntakeTool)context.get("intake");
    Group group = intake.get("MyGroup", IntakeTool.DEFAULT_KEY);
    MyBusinessObject myBO = new MyBusinessObject();
    if (group.isAllValid()) {
        group.setProperties(myBO);
    }
    // at this point, myBO should be populated with the correct attribute
    // values, right?  So I can print it out like this:
    System.out.println("myBO = "+myBO.toString());

In the template file (.vm file):
- include this in a <form> tag:
    $intake.declareGroups()
- and then what?

I noticed in the intake-service doc it says to do something similar to:
#set ( $attributeValue = $issue.AttributeValue("URL") )
#set ( $group = $intake.AttributeValue.mapTo($attributeValue) )

But that's something from scarab, of which I have no clue
about...especially the first #set statement.

If someone can detail this out, then I'd appreciate it very much! TIA.
I'm sure it'll be useful as a basis for an "intake quick start how-to"
as well.

Regards,
Dan