Posted to dev@weex.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2017/03/04 10:03:39 UTC

GitHub pull requests

Hi,
I am wondering if Weex is really keeping the IP provenance audit trail in
order.

For each GitHub Pull Requests coming in, you need to be able to show which
ICLA that leads back to preferably in an automated fashion.

Easiest would be to ensure that every commit has a "@apache.org" address in
every commit, instead of the private mail addresses that are currently in
use.

IF commits are done to the Apache Git server, the audit trail is automatic
(because it captures the Apache ID making the push), but I don't think that
it capable of handling Pull Requests and 'transitive contributors'.

So, I would suggest that all committers on the project makes a change to
their local git

git config user.email <apache-id>@apache.org
git config user.name "My Real Name"

inside the Weex project local clone.

This would simplify audit trail management a lot, going forward, and make
it much more clear whether any contributions came from elsewhere.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
http://polygene.apache.org <http://zest.apache.org> - New Energy for Java

Re: GitHub pull requests

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Just to make it very clear; The ICLA effectively says "I am the creator of
my work, or I have the rights to this work..." [1], whereas the CCLA
effectively says "Our employees are allowed to contribute their work...".
And that's why ASF require a Software Grant separately for the initial IP
donation as the corporation may own the IP rights.
That said, The CCLA is not for the ASF's benefit, but for the individual's
benefit. IF the corporation has not signed the CCLA, it could later come
after the employees and claim that proprietary IP has been published, and
that is what the CCLA is trying to prevent.

Apache is renowned (or frowned upon) for keeping extremely tight records on
IP provenance (see Oracle vs Google, and perhaps
http://www.groklaw.net/pdf3/OraGoogle-959.pdf for Apache Harmony's
involvement in the case. Even Apache member gave testimony in the case.).
We need solid ground to stand on, and that is why we bother with all this
PITA.

[1] this is not authoritative, so consult a lawyer for professional advice
around this,

Cheers
Niclas

Re: GitHub pull requests

Posted by "Bono Lv (Ali ZiKuan)" <zi...@alibaba-inc.com>.
Hi Niclas

------------------------------------------------------------------From:Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>Send Time:2017年3月4日(星期六) 18:11To:dev <de...@weex.incubator.apache.org>Subject:Re: GitHub pull requests

Re: GitHub pull requests

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.