Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by jian yi <ey...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/07 03:16:33 UTC

Will Pig support SQL?

Hi,

SQL is very helpful to develop data warehouse, but Hive don't support
procedure. if Pig support SQL, it will be more powerful.

Re: Will Pig support SQL?

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
Also, I looked at the idea you posted and it seems to me that your
balance step is in effect the sample step Pig's skewed data solution
implements. Except your balance step needs 100% of the data.

Consider how your balancing works when there's 1000 map tasks, each of
which produces outputs that will be fed into a total of 200 reducers.

-D

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jian,
> If what you are looking for is something that will let you deal with
> skewed data and forget about how the underlying distributed system
> works, both Pig and Hive will help you do that to some extent. If you
> are looking for something that will let you exercise fine-grained
> control over individual scheduling of tasks, which is what this sounds
> like, neither project is for you -- in fact, this is more or less the
> opposite of what they are trying to do, which is to take away the
> complexities of partitioning large data sets, scheduling tasks, and
> orchestrating data flows.
>
> If you are looking to tweak the hadoop internals to schedule things
> differently, you may find that the pluggable scheduler interface is
> useful. If you manage to achieve your goals by constructing a new
> scheduler, Pig and Hive will both continue working as higher-level
> abstractions, as long as you adhere to the provided interface for task
> scheduling.
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 2:05 AM, jian yi <ey...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We can regards a task as a sleep call, the parameter of sleep is the time
>> long.
>> sleep(N) - For hive ,the N is not certain
>> sleep(M) - For MBR, the M is certain
>>
>> 2010/2/8 jian yi <ey...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> Thank you Jeff.
>>> I known Hive has handling skewed join, but I think it is not enough:
>>> 1.Need cost sample
>>> 2.Can't control the size of a task
>>> 3.Not exact

Re: Will Pig support SQL?