Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com> on 2016/03/02 13:31:48 UTC

GSOC 2016 projects

Hello everybody

There are two GSOC2016 issues in the Jira:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-900 (Add Common Workflow
Language support to Taverna) and

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-901 (Run Docker from Taverna)

The first one has a set of tasks of which students are expected to do
one or more. I am wondering if it should be split into the five tasks -
so making issues TAVERNA-881, TAVERNA-877, TAVERNA-878, TAVERNA-880 and
TAVERNA-879 into GSOC issues.

Also, having separate GSOC issues would allow different mentors. Also,
Stian is down as mentor for both TAVERNA-900 and TAVERNA-901. I think
the rules would mean we only have one GSOC project for Taverna.

Alan

Re: GSOC 2016 projects

Posted by alaninmcr <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 02/03/2016 17:56, Ian Dunlop wrote:
> Hello

Hello

> Would be nice to see some of the ogc discussion on the dev list so it can
> be captured for any Apache taverna development. Nice for community
> development as well.

Yes. I have asked the student to sign up and say "hello" :)

> Cheers
>
> Ian

Alan

Re: GSOC 2016 projects

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Re: GSOC 2016 projects

Posted by Alan Williams <al...@googlemail.com>.
On 02-Mar-16 15:59, Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> Yeah, why I mentioned T2 was because you can run the developer
> tutorial there and get started right away..  and the only thing that I
> think has changed in that API for Taverna 3 is that you return the
> activity by URI rather than by instance, and that you return the
> configuration as a JSON object rather than a bean.
>
> So if the configuration is a JSON object anyway, then you are 95%
> compatible with Taverna 3 Workbench.

Yes. That is what is being done by an MSc student we have in Manchester
looking at OGC services.

The main work of discovering what building blocks are available, what
inputs and outputs they have, the cardinality of the data on the
inputs/outputs, invoking the "block", dealing with results or errors,
all that is basically the same.

> I think the Taverna 3 workbench can run from SNAPSHOT builds, but it
> might need some updates, e.g. it refers to
> net.sf.taverna.t2.maven.plugins:taverna-maven-plugin:0.3.1-SNAPSHOT
> rather than the org.apache.taverna.osgi version that is under a VOTE
> right now.

Alan

Re: GSOC 2016 projects

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.