Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Frank Uccello <fr...@phantomfiber.com> on 2008/10/15 15:50:12 UTC

tomcat as services

I have a machine that has multiply tomcat instances and they run as a
service.

I like to add a new tomcat:

First I copy an existing tomcat.exe and rename to
Tomcat-ItActionSystem.exe

Then I type the following

tomcat5 //IS//TomcatItActionSystems
--DisplayName="Tomcat-ItActionSystem" --Install="C:\Program
Files\Apache\Tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat-ItActionSystem.exe" --Jvm=auto
--StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
--StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start
--StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop

It shows up as service but will not start the tomcat error I get is as
follows:

[2008-10-15 09:33:59] [420  prunsrv.c] [error]
[2008-10-15 09:33:59] [1327 prunsrv.c] [error]
Load configuration failed

I think it's the parmaters can some tell mewhat the correct parmeters
should be

Thanks

Frank

RE: tomcat 6 and subdirectories

Posted by "Angelov, Rossen" <Ro...@SourceMedia.com>.
OK, I will put the appBase back in the host.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Angelov, Rossen" <Ro...@SourceMedia.com>.
Chuck,

Thanks for the advise, I fixed the problem. IT was definitely related to
the way contexts were defined and not to the servlet mappings. Some of
your replies to older postings helped me figure out the problem.

As a solution, I put the context files for the applications in
conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml as described in

It didn't work right away. I had to remove the appBase attribute from
the host definition and provide an absolute path in the context's
docBase. After that everything worked as expected and all subdirectories
mapped to the proper servlet.

Thanks,
Ross

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Angelov, Rossen" <Ro...@SourceMedia.com>.
Thanks Chuck,

It is in server.xml and may that's the problem. In previous version I
had in subdirectories under conf/Catalina.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Angelov, Rossen" <Ro...@SourceMedia.com>.
Kewl,

Thanks for the reply, but I already tried that pattern and it didn't
work for me. I have the feeling it's not the pattern, but something else
that's causing this problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ross

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Posted by "Angelov, Rossen" <Ro...@SourceMedia.com>.
Hi,

[...]

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ross

RE: tomcat as services

Posted by Frank Uccello <fr...@phantomfiber.com>.
I had change the batch file but I got the service to work thanks

Posted by Frank Uccello <fr...@phantomfiber.com>.
Ok I tried with a "-" now its tomcatItActionSystems

I do not get alpha error but still get

RE: tomcat as services

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

RE: tomcat as services

Posted by Frank Uccello <fr...@phantomfiber.com>.
I have now try the service.bat install name

It gives me a window error nonalpah45 only option is click ok

Once click ok   Failed installing 'tomcat-ItActionSystem' service

Please help

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Frank Uccello [mailto:franku@phantomfiber.com]
> Subject: RE: tomcat as services
>
> Ok this maybe a stupid question to ask but where do I
> download the service.bat file

Repeating what I already said (emphasis added):

> Rather than mucking around with all that, download and
> install the **.zip version**

 - Chuck

RE: tomcat as services

Posted by Frank Uccello <fr...@phantomfiber.com>.
Ok this maybe a stupid question to ask but where do I download the
service.bat file
I only asked due it is not in tomcaat bin directory and I did a search
and can not find this file

Thanks

> First I copy an existing tomcat.exe and rename to
> Tomcat-ItActionSystem.exe
>
> tomcat5 //IS//TomcatItActionSystems
> --DisplayName="Tomcat-ItActionSystem" --Install="C:\Program
> Files\Apache\Tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat-ItActionSystem.exe" --Jvm=auto
> --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
> --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start

> --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop

Rather than mucking around with all that, download and install the .zip
version and use the included service.bat script to install as many
services as you want.

RE: tomcat as services

Posted by Frank Uccello <fr...@phantomfiber.com>.
 Never mind I found it thanks I go to try it

RE: tomcat as services

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Frank Uccello [mailto:franku@phantomfiber.com]
> Subject: tomcat as services
>
> First I copy an existing tomcat.exe and rename to
> Tomcat-ItActionSystem.exe
>
> tomcat5 //IS//TomcatItActionSystems
> --DisplayName="Tomcat-ItActionSystem" --Install="C:\Program
> Files\Apache\Tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat-ItActionSystem.exe" --Jvm=auto
> --StartMode=jvm --StopMode=jvm
> --StartClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams=start
> --StopClass=org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopParams=stop

Rather than mucking around with all that, download and install the .zip version and use the included service.bat script to install as many services as you want.

 - Chuck