Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2004/05/16 21:40:46 UTC

another release candidate 1.2rc4?

I would like to suggest that we fix the remaining bugs

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&product=Lenya&target_milestone=1.2&short_desc=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=Lenya1.2&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time

and then do another release candidate 1.2rc4 for final testing

WDYT?

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 17:29, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Christian Egli wrote:
>
> >Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> writes:
> >

> >>I would like to suggest that we fix the remaining bugs
> >>

> >IMHO there is only one bug which really needs fixing. The others have
> >to be punted for 1.4, as they are to intrusive.
> >
> >(Of course it would be nice to have them fixed but there is always
> >going to be that one last bug that would be nice if a fix would make
> >it into the release)
> >
> >* 29023 Search engine delivers wrong URLs in hitlist
> >
> >ok, would be good if fixed.
> >
> >* 27400 consolidate Redirect files
> >
> >Is not critical, enhancement
> >
> >* 29026 lenya.bat should unpack lenya.war similar to lenya.
> >
> >Not critical as there is a winblows installer
> >

> I think all these three bugs are critical, because endusers
> are going to be confused

Maybe. However, if we follow eglis release schedule we have time until
sunday to fix them. If not we should do the RC on Monday.

Let the developers decide. I will post a final vote on eglis release
schedule. Otherwise we will keep discussing Cocoon 3.0 is out :)

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Christian Egli wrote:

> So I suggest that the following plan:
>
> * Sunday 2004-5-23 deadline for bugfixes
> * Monday 2004-5-24 rc4 built
> * Monday 2004-5-24 request to PMC
> * Sunday 2004-5-30 end of testing period
> * Monday 2004-5-31 Release + announcement

+1

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
[...]

> * Sunday 2004-5-23 deadline for bugfixes
> * Monday 2004-5-24 rc4 built
> * Monday 2004-5-24 request to PMC

This requires the endorsement of the mentors.

> * Sunday 2004-5-30 end of testing period
> * Monday 2004-5-31 Release + announcement

-- Andreas

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 15:26, Christian Egli wrote:
> Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> writes:
>
> > I would like to suggest that we fix the remaining bugs
>
> IMHO there is only one bug which really needs fixing. The others have
> to be punted for 1.4, as they are to intrusive.
>
> (Of course it would be nice to have them fixed but there is always
> going to be that one last bug that would be nice if a fix would make
> it into the release)
>
> * 29023 Search engine delivers wrong URLs in hitlist
>
> ok, would be good if fixed.
>
> * 27400 consolidate Redirect files
>
> Is not critical, enhancement
>
> * 29026 lenya.bat should unpack lenya.war similar to lenya.
>
> Not critical as there is a winblows installer
>
> > and then do another release candidate 1.2rc4 for final testing
>
> So I suggest that the following plan:

  * Monday 2004-5-17++ write formal request an get it endorsed ??
> * Sunday 2004-5-23 deadline for bugfixes
> * Monday 2004-5-24 rc4 built
> * Monday 2004-5-24 request to PMC
> * Sunday 2004-5-30 end of testing period
> * Monday 2004-5-31 Release + announcement

+1. I hope we can meet the dates.

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaTestCases

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@owal.co.uk>.
Christian Egli wrote:

> So I suggest that the following plan:
>
>* Sunday 2004-5-23 deadline for bugfixes
>* Monday 2004-5-24 rc4 built
>* Monday 2004-5-24 request to PMC
>* Sunday 2004-5-30 end of testing period
>* Monday 2004-5-31 Release + announcement

Is there an idiot proof test plan/script written that I could follow to
help with testing?
I'm a bit behind in what features have been implemented recently so
following
a test plan or script would be good for me.

Alex

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.net>.
Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> writes:

> I would like to suggest that we fix the remaining bugs

IMHO there is only one bug which really needs fixing. The others have
to be punted for 1.4, as they are to intrusive.

(Of course it would be nice to have them fixed but there is always
going to be that one last bug that would be nice if a fix would make
it into the release)

* 29023 Search engine delivers wrong URLs in hitlist

ok, would be good if fixed.

* 27400 consolidate Redirect files

Is not critical, enhancement

* 29026 lenya.bat should unpack lenya.war similar to lenya.

Not critical as there is a winblows installer

> and then do another release candidate 1.2rc4 for final testing

So I suggest that the following plan:

* Sunday 2004-5-23 deadline for bugfixes
* Monday 2004-5-24 rc4 built
* Monday 2004-5-24 request to PMC
* Sunday 2004-5-30 end of testing period
* Monday 2004-5-31 Release + announcement

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.net   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 11:05, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> > IMHO, we do ne need to release "100% bugfree". It is not possible
> > either.
>
> Nobody here is talking about "100% bugfree". Currently 68 unresolved bugs are
> known. The resolution of almost all of them is scheduled for 1.4.

With "bugfree" I refer to all bugs scheduled for 1.2.

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
> IMHO, we do ne need to release "100% bugfree". It is not possible
> either.

Nobody here is talking about "100% bugfree". Currently 68 unresolved bugs are
known. The resolution of almost all of them is scheduled for 1.4.

Andreas

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 10:30, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > IMHO, we do ne need to release "100% bugfree". It is not possible
> > either.
>
> Yes, I share this opinion. And I guess the Incubator PMC
> prefers frequent releases to "100% bugfree" code. But of
> course this is just an assumption.

Good point.

> [...]
>
> > So again, if we try to get the endorsement of Steven or/and Stefano and
> > they say no, ok, than we have to do more homework. I think it is worth a
> > try at this stage.
>
> Yes. We can't tell before we tried.

"Probieren geht über studieren" :)

> > So, do an RC now regardless of outstanding bugs and ask for endorsement.
> > Otherwise I fear we will not release within the next 3 weeks.
> >
> > I think to get out a bug fix release will be much easier than trying to
> > get everything perfect now.
>
> +1 (for doing an RC + asking the mentors for endorsement now)

+1 too.

> -- Andreas

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> So again, if we try to get the endorsement of Steven or/and Stefano and
> they say no, ok, than we have to do more homework. I think it is worth a
> try at this stage.
>
> So, do an RC now regardless of outstanding bugs and ask for endorsement.
> Otherwise I fear we will not release within the next 3 weeks.
>
> I think to get out a bug fix release will be much easier than trying to
> get everything perfect now.
>
> Of course we need to document the outstanding bugs scheduled for 1.2 in
> a README.

+1 based on the experience of doing the last couple RCs

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 09:50, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Hence, my plan again (a bit more detailed ;-)
> >
> > 1) Fix the remaining bugs of 1.2 target
> >
> > 2) Do another release candidate 1.2rc4
> >
> > 3) Test 1.2rc4 and hopefully find no blockers
>
> How can this be managed in a reasonable time?

Yes, the time problem. That is why I proposed to immediarely let endorse
the release request.

> I wouldn't want to wait and see if people report
> errors or not.

IMHO, we do ne need to release "100% bugfree". It is not possible
either.

> I'm afraid Lenya became too big to be tested
> sufficiently using a couple of "click-through"
> scenarios.

See above.

Testing was Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>>I'm afraid Lenya became too big to be tested
>>sufficiently using a couple of "click-through"
>>scenarios.
>

> That is correct and needs to be improved for 1.4. My opinion: the quality of 1.2
> so far has been significantly improved compared to the previous 1.0 "release".

:) thats nice to hear.

sandra gubler started
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaTestCases that contains
standardized tests users can perform. should be extended.

there is also http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaUnitTests
and http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=LenyaAntTaskTests

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> > 3) Test 1.2rc4 and hopefully find no blockers
>
> How can this be managed in a reasonable time?
> I wouldn't want to wait and see if people report
> errors or not.

I suggest to set and publish a strict time limit for reporting such errors.
Exactly one week after 1.2RC4 is made available should be enough time.

Users who wait for the release of 1.2 and want to use it for productive purposes
(such as myself) should know that they share responsibility for blocker bugs
which are not noticed before 1.2 is released.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

[...]

> Hence, my plan again (a bit more detailed ;-)
>
> 1) Fix the remaining bugs of 1.2 target
>
> 2) Do another release candidate 1.2rc4
>
> 3) Test 1.2rc4 and hopefully find no blockers

How can this be managed in a reasonable time?
I wouldn't want to wait and see if people report
errors or not.

I'm afraid Lenya became too big to be tested
sufficiently using a couple of "click-through"
scenarios.

How do other projects manage this?

 > 4) If no blockers, then notify the PMC
 >
 > 5) Get hopefully the approval from PMC
 >
 > 6) Do the release based on 1.2rc4

Apart from (3) your plan makes sense to me.

+1 if

   * you convince me that (3) can be managed or
   * we leave out (3)

-- Andreas

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>> 1.) Try to get endorsement. If we get it, we have one to do item less.
>> 2.) Prepare a RC4
>> 3.) send out release request
>> 4.) do testing for 3-5 days
>> 5.) if no blockers and incubator pmc does a positive vote release with a
>> note what bugs remain for 1.2.1

+1

> Will we switch to SVN after the release and have separate
> branches there for 1.2.* and 1.4?

yes.

nicola wrote, on the same subject:

Err... what should we actually do?

I mean, let's say that we have decided that the format will be:

/cocoon/ <- this is the repository
   /2.0/
     /trunk/  <- trunk of 2.0
     /tags/   <- tags of 2.0
   /2.1/
     /trunk/  <- trunk of 2.1
     /tags/   <- tags of 2.1

IIUC we just need to ask infrastructure to run cvs2svn to the cocoon-2.1
and cocoon-2.2 repos and put them under "cocoon" as 2.1 and 2.2.
<<<

we can do the same for lenya. SVN allows to have a sane repository layout.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 11:04, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> [...]
>
> > 1.) Try to get endorsement. If we get it, we have one to do item less.
> > 2.) Prepare a RC4
> > 3.) send out release request
> > 4.) do testing for 3-5 days
> > 5.) if no blockers and incubator pmc does a positive vote release with a
> > note what bugs remain for 1.2.1
>
> +1
>
> Will we switch to SVN after the release and have separate
> branches there for 1.2.* and 1.4?

Good question. I think it is maybe a good idea
to use the time between 1.2 and 1.2.1 to switch to svn and make the
appropriate branches. Then we fix the remaining bugs originally
scheduled for 1.2 and do new features for the 1.4 branch.

We should release 1.2.1 6 weeks after 1.2 depending on how long the svn
porting does take. Any time estimations for the svn porting?

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
[...]

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 10:56, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> > 5) Get hopefully the approval from PMC
>
> To clarify: it is not (and should not be) the task of the PMC to do any testing
> of the software for this step.

The better :)

> The PMC needs only to verify that the Lenya
> project has used reasonable processes and effort to avoid releasing crap and to
> ensure that the (simple) formal incubator requirements are met.

Ok, so why not try to get the endorsement for the release request _now_
?

> If the PMC likes to do testing then it should do that in step 3 ;-)

All testers are welcome :)

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> 5) Get hopefully the approval from PMC

To clarify: it is not (and should not be) the task of the PMC to do any testing
of the software for this step. The PMC needs only to verify that the Lenya

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 22:50, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> >>i'd rather do the release at this point
> >>

> >+1
> >
> >and here is why I think so:
> >
> >Before we can make the release we need to follow
> >http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases%0A .
> >That means we have to do a request for release at the incubator PMC. The
> >request needs the endorsement of Stafano M. or/and Steven N. The PMC has
> >to approve the request than.
> >

> I am aware of that and that's exactly the reason why I suggested
> to do another release candidate, because I think Stefano or Steven or
> whoever on the PMC should test the very last RC because the very last
> RC should be nearly identical to the actual RC in my opinion, whereas
> RC3 wasn't good enough to pass a test by the PMC.
>
> Hence, my plan again (a bit more detailed ;-)
>
> 1) Fix the remaining bugs of 1.2 target
>
> 2) Do another release candidate 1.2rc4
>
> 3) Test 1.2rc4 and hopefully find no blockers
>
> 4) If no blockers, then notify the PMC
>
> 5) Get hopefully the approval from PMC
>
> 6) Do the release based on 1.2rc4
>
> WDYT?

Ok.

+1

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
[...]

> 1) Fix the remaining bugs of 1.2 target
>
> 2) Do another release candidate 1.2rc4

Couldn't we do (2) before (1)? Like Andreas K. mentioned,
we have to allow for some testing time.

* 27400 is rather an enhancement IMO
* I don't consider the others too severe to do another RC

Maybe it makes sense to state

   "Known issues: nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/...
   They will be fixed in the release."

on the RC frontpage?

-- Andreas

Re: another release candidate 1.2rc4?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> Before we can make the release we need to follow
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases%0A .
> That means we have to do a request for release at the incubator PMC. The
> request needs the endorsement of Stafano M. or/and Steven N. The PMC has
> to approve the request than.
>
> This process will take some time. That time can be used to fix the
> remaining bugs, so that we can make the 1.2 release immediately, if the
> release request gets approved by the incubator PMC.
>
> If there are more known bugs to fix or bugs which occur in 1.2, we could
> release a 1.2.1 short after 1.2.
>
> Of course someone has to do such a release request, get the endorsement
> of our project mentor(s) and send it to incubator@apache.org(?).
>
> If this a plan, do ur vote.

i like this approach, +1

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.