Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeremy Morton <ad...@game-point.net> on 2009/06/25 17:10:40 UTC

Apache.org spam??

I recently got this spam that made its way thru SpamAssassin:

http://pastebin.ca/1474274

Looks like it was received from mail.apache.org which is in the
DNSWL.org DB, unsurprisingly.  Why would mail.apache.org send out this
obvious spam?

Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)

Re: Apache.org spam??

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, June 25, 2009 17:10, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> Looks like it was received from mail.apache.org which is in the
> DNSWL.org DB, unsurprisingly.  Why would mail.apache.org send out this
> obvious spam?

blame mozilla thunderbird for the resent headers, the problem is that one user release something in there quarantine and spammed
forged headers

--
xpoint

Re: Apache.org spam??

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, June 25, 2009 19:48, John Hardin wrote:
> I point out that I've had legitimate reason in the past to resend messages
> to the SA list.

test my rules better, will it hit a resend from you ? :)

well repost is not a resend, so it might still not hit

--
xpoint

Re: Apache.org spam??

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, SM wrote:

> At 09:13 25-06-2009, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> something as this on apache.org:
>>
>> header __RESENT1 exists:Resent-From
>> header __RESENT2 exists:Resent-To
>> header __RESENT3 exists:Resent-Date
>> header __RESENT4 exists:Resent-Message-Id
>>
>> meta NO_RESENT_MAIL (__RESENT1 && __RESENT2 && __RESENT3 && __RESENT4)
>> describe NO_RESENT_MAIL Meta: please dont resend mail to maillists
>> score NO_RESENT_MAIL 3.0
>>
>> if i cant fix others problems but imho apache.org need the above :)
>
> Nice.  The above rules cannot be applied for all apache.org traffic as it's
> not only for mailing lists.

I point out that I've had legitimate reason in the past to resend messages
to the SA list.

   Phobias should not be the basis for laws.
  9 days until the 233rd anniversary of the Declaration of Independence

Re: Apache.org spam??

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 09:13 25-06-2009, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>something as this on apache.org:
>
>header __RESENT1 exists:Resent-From
>header __RESENT2 exists:Resent-To
>header __RESENT3 exists:Resent-Date
>header __RESENT4 exists:Resent-Message-Id
>
>meta NO_RESENT_MAIL (__RESENT1 && __RESENT2 && __RESENT3 && __RESENT4)
>describe NO_RESENT_MAIL Meta: please dont resend mail to maillists
>score NO_RESENT_MAIL 3.0
>
>if i cant fix others problems but imho apache.org need the above :)

Nice.  The above rules cannot be applied for all apache.org traffic
as it's not only for mailing lists.

Regards,
-sm

Re: Apache.org spam??

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Re: Apache.org spam??

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.
At 08:10 25-06-2009, Jeremy Morton wrote:
>I recently got this spam that made its way thru SpamAssassin:

[non-persistent information snipped]

>Looks like it was received from mail.apache.org which is in the
>DNSWL.org DB, unsurprisingly.  Why would mail.apache.org send out
>this obvious spam?

The message was sent by a mailing list subscriber to a list which
generally discusses about spam.  It scored 4.0 on Apache.org.

Why is the message obvious spam?  What rules would you recommend to catch it?

Regards,
-sm

Re: Apache.org spam??

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Thu, June 25, 2009 17:20, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> I guess that was sent to the spamassassin.apache.org list and the list
> was BCC'd so it didn't get put into my list folder.  Ah well.

with sieve:

if header :contains "List-Id" "users.spamassassin.apache.org"
{
fileinto "maillists.spamassassin";
stop;
}