Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Will Nordmeyer <qu...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/11 17:43:35 UTC

Revoked Certificate being accepted

I have my Tomcat 6.0.34 installation configured to use APR and
tcnative for certificate valiation & CRL checking.

I have a revoked CRL and when I use the openssl command line to check
the certificate, it properly returns certificate revoked.

When I try going in through tomcat, however, it prompts for a
certificate to be selected and then once I select the revoked
certificate, it lets me into the application.

]# openssl verify -CApath /etc/ssl/certs -crl_check_all -verbose
-purpose sslclient TestThirtySeven_Revoked.pem
TestThirtySeven_Revoked.pem: C = US, O = <ORG>, OU = OU1, OU = OU2, OU
= OU3, CN = TESTThirtySeven.REVOKED.9000050001
error 23 at 0 depth lookup:certificate revoked

Connector info from Tomcat:
    <Connector port="8443"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
               SSLEnabled="true"
               scheme="https"
               maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
               maxThreads="150"
               minSpareThreads="25"
               maxSpareThreads="75"
               enableLookups="false"
               acceptCount="100"
               disableUploadTimeout="true"
               compression="on"
               compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml,text/plain,text/css,text/
               javascript,application/xml,application/x-javascript,application/javascript"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               secure="true"
               SSLCertificateFile="/etc/ssl/certs/servercrt01.crt"
               SSLCertificateKeyFile="/etc/ssl/certs/serverkey.pem"
               SSLPassword="password"
               SSLCACertificatePath="/etc/ssl/certs/"
               SSLVerifyClient="require"
               SSLCARevocationPath="/etc/ssl/certs/"
               sslProtocol="TLS"
               redirectPort="8443" />

The log file shows nothing related to CRL.

The /etc/ssl/certs directory has hash links to my CAs and CRLs.

Does it help if I hit the server with a baseball bat?

--Will

Re: Revoked Certificate being accepted

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Will,

On 12/11/12 2:53 PM, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>>
>> Will,
>>
>> On 12/11/12 11:43 AM, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
>>> I have my Tomcat 6.0.34 installation configured to use APR and
>>> tcnative for certificate valiation & CRL checking.
>>>
>>> I have a revoked CRL and when I use the openssl command line
>>> to check the certificate, it properly returns certificate
>>> revoked.
>>
>> You mean a revoked cert, right? I don't think you can revoke a
>> CRL. (Would that un-revoke the certs in the list...?)
>>
>>> When I try going in through tomcat, however, it prompts for a
>>> certificate to be selected and then once I select the revoked
>>> certificate, it lets me into the application.
>>
>> Did you start the server, revoke the certificate, then attempt to
>> use it to gain access? Tomcat loads the CRL once at startup when
>> using JSSE, so I assume the same thing happens with the APR
>> connector.
>>
>> If you restart Tomcat with no other changes, is the connection
>> blocked?
>>
>>> ]# openssl verify -CApath /etc/ssl/certs -crl_check_all
>>> -verbose -purpose sslclient TestThirtySeven_Revoked.pem
>>> TestThirtySeven_Revoked.pem: C = US, O = <ORG>, OU = OU1, OU =
>>> OU2, OU = OU3, CN = TESTThirtySeven.REVOKED.9000050001 error 23
>>> at 0 depth lookup:certificate revoked
>>>
>>> Connector info from Tomcat: <Connector port="8443"
>>> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
>>> SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>>> maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
>>> enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
>>> disableUploadTimeout="true" compression="on"
>>> compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml,text/plain,text/css,text/

javascript,application/xml,application/x-javascript,application/javascript"

>> connectionTimeout="20000"
>>> secure="true"
>>> SSLCertificateFile="/etc/ssl/certs/servercrt01.crt"
>>> SSLCertificateKeyFile="/etc/ssl/certs/serverkey.pem"
>>> SSLPassword="password" SSLCACertificatePath="/etc/ssl/certs/"
>>> SSLVerifyClient="require"
>>> SSLCARevocationPath="/etc/ssl/certs/" sslProtocol="TLS"
>>> redirectPort="8443" />
>>>
>>> The log file shows nothing related to CRL.
>>>
>>> The /etc/ssl/certs directory has hash links to my CAs and
>>> CRLs.
>>
>> You mean symlinks?
>>

>>> Does it help if I hit the server with a baseball bat?
>>
>> If I'm right (above), and the baseball bat causes a reboot
>> without any other damage, then it might actually help.
>>
>> I don't believe Tomcat has any current mechanism for refreshing
>> the CRL. I think that's been requested once or twice... not sure
>> if it's actually in Bugzilla. If it's not, it should be: care to
>> look and file the enhancement request if necessary?
>>
> OK... hit me with the baseball bat - I forgot to restart tomcat.
> I've read those steps repeatedly and forgot when it was important.

It's probably still worth filing such an enhancement request. Bouncing
the whole app server just to re-read the CRL is a bit heavy-handed.

- -chris

Re: Revoked Certificate being accepted

Posted by Will Nordmeyer <qu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.