Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Norman Zhang <no...@rd.arkonnetworks.com> on 2005/03/15 20:02:17 UTC

Different Configuration File

May I ask what's the difference between
/var/lib/amavisd/.spamassassin/user_prefs and
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?

user_prefs contains

bayes_file_mode 0640
use_bayes 1
auto_learn 1
skip_rbl_checks 1
use_razor2 0
use_pyzor 0
use_dcc 0
#dcc_add_header 1

while local.cf contains

skip_rbl_checks 0
bayes_path /var/lib/amavis/var/.spamassassin/bayes
use_bayes 1
use_razor2 1
use_dcc 1
use_pyzor 0

Regards,
Norman Zhang

Re: Different Configuration File

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Norman Zhang wrote:

> May I ask what's the difference between
> /var/lib/amavisd/.spamassassin/user_prefs and
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf?

In general user_prefs is *intended* for per-user configuration, so that
individual users can over-ride the site-wide defaults.

local.cf (actually any .cf file in /etc/mail/spamassassin) is intended
for site-wide customizations, and gets used for all users. It is
intended to over-ride the default settings SA shipped with.

In your case, amavis always runs as one user, so the user_prefs is only
useful to dictate different behavior between when amavis calls SA, and
when you call SA manually on the command line for testing.

It's a little troubling that you have a bayes_path in local.cf, but your
bayes_file_mode statement is in user_prefs. You really should move that.
If you have bayes_path in local.cf, you should have bayes_file_mode 777
in there, and no mode setting in user_prefs.

(if you make it a site-wide bayes_Path setting, all users must be able
to read, write, and create sub-dirs, or you're going to have problems
when someone other than the amavis user executes sa-learn)