Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Zubair Nuamaan <z....@googlemail.com> on 2010/10/18 16:31:24 UTC

Re: Tapestry 5.2.1 upgrade woes

Hey,

did you manage to find a fix for your problem?  I updated to use the new
Tapestry 5.2.1 and am getting the same error

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/tapestry5/internal/services/RequestPathOptimizer

I also updated to chenelkit 1.3.0-sanpshot.

Thanks,

Zubair

Re: Tapestry 5.2.1 upgrade woes

Posted by "Vangel V. Ajanovski" <aj...@ii.edu.mk>.
My intention is not to be harsh. I could not be harsh to anyone giving
me something as open and free. It's a gift. We have a proverb that you
don't check and complain about the teeth of a horse you got as a gift.
First of all it would be impolite and unfair.

We are just really unhappy if Equanda or Chenillekit are not updated
very soon and they don't work with latest Tapestry, since we wont be
able to go further and have them included, since our plans are to always
go with the latest of Tapestry, until we like it :)

Tomorrow we might be unhappy if there were some new exciting features in
latest hibernate, but tapestry-hibernate would not work with it and
there were no news or published plans of intention to make it work. In
that case we would be forced to change to something else.

Sad but true. Our project is an ongoing project with frequent releases,
used at university department - build by students for usage by students
and teaching and administration staff, it is going on since 1992 (as far
as I know, maybe even before) and it will probably go on in the future.
We are rebuilding all our applications that need new features (almost
all) with Tapestry, and we worked with JSP/JSF before that, Oracle
PL/SQL and Forms before that, MS Access before that and Clipper before
that. I don't know before that but I know that somebody did something
with punched cards some 30-40 years ago.

I am happy with Tapestry, and I lead the project for now. But for
example nowadays Kuali Project is grabbing forward in many US
universities and they have based their "Kuali Rice" framework on a stack
with another web/view layer technology, so it might become alternative
some time in the future, who knows. One has to always think outside the box.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Don't be too harsh on the 3rd party developers; we're still working
out what needs to be public and how.

We take the "internals can change at any time" vow seriously, which is
painful for any 3rd party library developers, as sometimes you have to
dive into the internal side to accomplish things.

I encourage any 3rd party library developer who does use internals to
get a dialog going on the mailing list (and then on JIRA) so that
necessary, stable, public interfaces can be created.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210