Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Barry Hoggard <ba...@investorama.com> on 2000/07/27 21:55:33 UTC

Re: [is it time for something other than html?] RE: Templating system

We do what you describe with mason all of the time, since one can cache
individual components on their own schedules.  If you look at:

http://www.investorama.com/guides/stocks

Everything above "you are here" isn't cached, except for "Who's online
now", which is updated to show a number above a certain threshhold every 1
minute.  "My Email" is updated every 3 minutes to show a flag if there's
new mail.  The e-mail component is of course keyed to a specific individual
when they're logged in.

The line that does this for mail is:

return if mc_cache_self(key => $ENV{REMOTE_USER}, expire_in=>'+3min');

The featured articles are updated once per day, as is the box with the
number of our members that have "joined" this guide.  The number of people
online that have joined the guide is updated every minute.

I could go on, but you get the idea.  The way mason works, the actual work
is all done the first time a page or component is accessed, and is then
stored using MLDBM.

--
Barry Hoggard
VP of Software Development