Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/12 04:45:36 UTC

Domain keys for JAMES

JAMES users,

I started looking into using JAMES for my company about 2 weeks ago. I
was unable to find any existing implementations of the Yahoo! Domain
Keys standard in java, so I started working on one.

Is there still community interest in having an implementation of
domain keys for JAMES, or should I wait for the DKIM standard which
will likely replace the current domain keys standard?

Info on both domain keys and DKIM can be found at
http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys.

Sincerely,
Tom Brown

Re: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
Tom,

digging into the topic, it looks like using a combination of SMIMESign,
IsSMIMESigned and SMIMECheckSignature would do the work.

SMIMECheckSignature would need to be enhanced to get the public key from
the sender domain's DNS, and perhaps SMIMESign should be somehow
adapted, but probably not.

What do you think?

Vincenzo

RE: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Did the legal folks ever get back to you on whether or not an
> implementation of domain keys can be included?

No.  I've pinged again.

	--- Noel

Re: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by Tom Brown <to...@gmail.com>.
Did the legal folks ever get back to you on whether or not an
implementation of domain keys can be included?

-- Tom

RE: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> > DKIM (http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dkim/) is also governed by
> > http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys/patentlicense1-2.html.
> > I'll raise the question of the patent license with our legal folks.

> Thank you! Of course it would be really cool if we can include DK
> support in the standard distribution of james!

The current status is that we have identified a problem in the Yahoo!
license, and are pursuing the matter further.

	--- Noel

Re: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

RE: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
 From the yahoo website:

Yahoo!'s DomainKeys Intellectual Property may be licensed under either
of the following terms:
     * Yahoo! DomainKeys Patent License Agreement
     * GNU General Public License version 2.0 (and no other version).

So I believe that we cannot include such code in james distribution but
that a GPL plugin for james could be created.

If this plugin need to extends/reuse SMIME mailets I would be happy to
grant GPL usage for the one submitted by me (there is a compatibility
issue between GPL and ASLv2).

Btw I think that it would be cool to have support for DK even if not
officially supported and distributed under the GPL from another website.

Stefano

Re: Domain keys for JAMES

Posted by Michael Bryant <mg...@4mi.net>.
Tom,