Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by André <di...@masse.de> on 2006/04/04 03:31:00 UTC

[users@httpd] On access decrypted svn repository served through apache autenticated through pam - I'm stuck

Hi all,
I really like apache, subversion and encryption. Maintaining files
through subversion + apache already works very well, but sensitive files
have to be encrypted. Encrypting files before check-in is cumbersome and
makes your respository a binary mess.

I thought apache could help decrypting files (like a svn repository) on
authentication.  Unfortunately I could not find a working solution
anywhere and nothing about impersonation, thus I tried it myself. This
is what I tried:

encfs (encrypted user land file system) + libpam_encfs (decrypts home
directories on the fly) + libapache2-mod-auth-pam (autentication with pam)

1. automatic mounting of the encrypted directory (/var/www/encrypted) on
login (from shell) works
2. autentification through pam on a website (through apache) works
3. both combined - does not work:
reading the supposedly  mounted directory from apache does not work, the
file does not appear in directory listings

I tried many user/group/permission combinations and now I am a bit stuck.
What I did not yet try is to recompile apache with -DBIG_SECURITY_HOLE
to access everything from root, I guess this is discouraged :-)

I guess this might have to with privilege seperation:
http://oss.metaparadigm.com/apache-privsep/
Would that patch help me? Is there anything like that for Apache2?
Does anyone know of any alternative?

Regards,
André

ps. My /etc/pam.d/apache2